Cannot delete an empty folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have an empty subfolder within my Live Mesh folder that I want to delete.  Whenever I try to delete it, I get the following error:

Cannot delete [folder name is here]: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

Does this mean I need to close Live Mesh in order to delete it?  If anyone can help, would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

• Are deleting it on the PC? Is the parent folder also being synchronized with the Live Desktop?
    You should be able to delete it, but it is entirely possible that Live Mesh is doing something that has the sub-folder locked. You can try deleting it via the Live Desktop and the deletion will sync downwards. Or you can try rebooting the PC to see if that "unlocks" it for you to delete.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I took your suggestion and rebooted, and the folder then deleted with no problems.   Thanks for the tip!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:38 AM

All replies

• Are deleting it on the PC? Is the parent folder also being synchronized with the Live Desktop?
    You should be able to delete it, but it is entirely possible that Live Mesh is doing something that has the sub-folder locked. You can try deleting it via the Live Desktop and the deletion will sync downwards. Or you can try rebooting the PC to see if that "unlocks" it for you to delete.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I took your suggestion and rebooted, and the folder then deleted with no problems.   Thanks for the tip!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for confirming that the reboot resolved it.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:35 PM