Determining xp edition and key validity from a unbootable drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to do a windows OS repair on a customer's computer but am unable to verify if the copy of xp on the computer is genuine. The computer does have a COA certificate(XP Media Center Edition 2005) on the bottom but the edition seems to be different from the installed one. The edition as far as I can tell lacks files needed in order for it to be MCE (seems to be pro or home edition). However I'm unable to confirm this because I'm unable to boot the machine. I have been able to pull the information from the registry by loading the software hive. 

BuildLab: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636
    CSDVersion: Service Pack 3
    ProductID:  76487-OEM-0011903-00817

How do I determine the Edition of XP from the registry if possible?

Of course I'm unable to proceed with this repair because I do not know what XP edition cd I need.

Jonathan Martinez
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:42 AM

Answers

• "Jonathan M. Martinez" wrote in message news:02d36c5c-5d60-4dd9-a64f-e0fb77d440aa...

I'm about to do a windows OS repair on a customer's computer but am unable to verify if the copy of xp on the computer is genuine. The computer does have a COA certificate(XP Media Center Edition 2005) on the bottom but the edition seems to be different from the installed one. The edition as far as I can tell lacks files needed in order for it to be MCE (seems to be pro or home edition). However I'm unable to confirm this because I'm unable to boot the machine. I have been able to pull the information from the registry by loading the software hive. 

BuildLab: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636
    CSDVersion: Service Pack 3
    ProductID:  76487-OEM-0011903-00817

How do I determine the Edition of XP from the registry if possible?

Of course I'm unable to proceed with this repair because I do not know what XP edition cd I need.

Jonathan Martinez

Just because an OS is installed, it doesn't mean it's 'Genuine' - you should use the disk for the only OS that you *know* is likely to be genuine - the one of the COA sticker (and even that may no longer be valid if the motherboard has been replaced).
    Unless your client can produce some evidence of another valid license, use MCE as the base install.
    As it happens - that PID is almost certainly an XP Pro.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:25 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:21 AM