Volume Failing warnings -- false alarm? RRS feed

• Question

• On about a weekly basis I'm getting warnings that my primary volume is failing.  Using the console, I tell WHS to repair it.  It restarts and everything appears fine, for about a week.

I've combed through the event logs and can't find any errors that might be related to this phenomenon; the last error I found was over a month ago and was a simple RDP disconnect.  Is there anywhere else I should look for evidence that this is an actual problem that I should address? 
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:37 PM

Answers

• Don,

The first thing I would do, is run a chkdsk /r on the drive. The 'normal' chkdsk will effectively only check the file system and files, but not the underlying drive itself.
    This can be done through and RDP session into the server, then double-click on the My Computer entry; on the resulting page, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties. On this Properties page, select Error Checking and on the resultant pop-up, enable both boxes and then Start. (The server will have to reboot to complete the operation).

Also, it could be worthwhile checking to see if your drive Manufacturer has any appropriate tools as well.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:02 PM