locked
Reports not printing over loadbalanced environment RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi everyone,

    at one of our customers we have a strange behaviour with their reports. At first they had issues with the reports sometimes not showing up (as in, they did not even start to render and just showed a blank screen). This brings me to the environment: It consists of two CRM Full Servers under an F5 NLB, two Sharepoint Servers under an F5 NLB, two SSRS Servers under an F5 NLB, and 2 SQL Servers in an AlwaysOn Availability Group. CRM used is CRM 2011 UR16 and SQL is Server 2012 SP1 Enterprise Edition.

    What we did to stop the blank screens was setup proper SPN's for the CRM Application Account (and all the good IIS settings like useAppPoolCredentials and Machinekey elements inside the CRM Website) as well as the Reporting Services Account and configuration changes to the rsreportserver.config

    All seemed fine, the reports render everytime and they use kerberos. Here comes the tricky part: If the users try to print a report then the RS Print Control loads all good, but after that, when we press on print, a new window opens with the label "wird gedruckt...", which is german for "printing...". This seems to freeze and the report is not being printed. When we kill this process, all CRM windows get recycled and the report is being sent to the printer. So there is a workaround with this, but it's is very inconvenient because the users lose all the temporary work in their CRM windows (search results, advanced finds, everything...)

    That is not all, when we try opening the preview inside the report print control, then we are greeted with an authentification window. After entering the credentials everything will work fine from here, so it does not seem to be an SPN issue, but some other kind of authentication getting lost ...

    Anybody had something similar happening and know how to solve this? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

    • Edited by Jan Marhauser Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:33 PM spelling stuff
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:29 PM

Answers

  • Hi everyone,

    we were able to solve this problem: For us this had to do with the compression inside the CRMs F5 Profile, after we switched this off the printing function started working flawlessly.

    I hope this can help someone who is also struggling with this.

    Kind regards

    Jan

    • Marked as answer by Jan Marhauser Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:04 AM

All replies

  • What happens when you download the report?

    Christo Vermeulen

    Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Hi Jan

    I too have a similar problem in our Load balanced environment.

    Scenario : 4 CRM web servers under a F5 NLB. User generates report and if trying to export the report into any of the format after sometime its giving error.

    Troubleshooting : I tried to verify the Fiddler logs by reiterating the process again and again where I saw the connection is getting closed. So I checked the persistent parameters in NLB for CRM web server load balancer and Report Server load balancer.

    Result : I tried by changing the Persistent parameters. Though this time result is improved and users are getting connection closed issue in a lesser frequent manner but still the ticket is open with MS Support and they are looking into this.

    Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Hi everyone,

    I just tried to download the report in each available format, this went through flawlessly.

    I also verified the network packages and we also get a connection close at the end of the first package in our environment. After this, it tries to keep-alive the connection in a second package, but has to wait for some kind of credentials, before it can commence. We can see this very clearly in a network trace for the preview window, as the second package just says "waiting" while the authentication window is active.

    I will try to meet with the customers networking team and check the F5s configuration, as the F5 seems to be the root cause of the error. In their Integration environment where there are no F5 headers inside the packages, everything goes through fine. While researching around for this I also found a document from F5 for CRM 2011 configuration, but as of yet, I have no idea whether or not this has been taken into account. Maybe it can help somebody else :) http://www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-guides/dynamics-crm-2011-dg.pdf

    Kind regards,

    Jan

    Monday, October 27, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Hi everyone,

    we were able to solve this problem: For us this had to do with the compression inside the CRMs F5 Profile, after we switched this off the printing function started working flawlessly.

    I hope this can help someone who is also struggling with this.

    Kind regards

    Jan

    • Marked as answer by Jan Marhauser Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:04 AM