Using WHS as a network time server RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use my WHS as a time server so that the computers on my network can communicate with the server - which is synchronised to the internet - and get an accurate time check.

Yes they can individually synchronise with an internet server but this is unreliable at the best of times and usually takes up to 30 seconds for each machine.

It would be ideal to obtain a time sync for the "slaves" every hour or so. Allowing for individual idiosyncracies this would make all network computer clocks run at almost exactly the same time.

If this is not the place to ask (I have not used this forum before) could someone kindly point me to a correct location.

Rob.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:08 PM

Answers

• It should be possible to configure an authoritative time server on your WHS computer by following the instructions in this Microsoft support article. However, doing so is unsupported, and may cause problems with your server which could be difficult to sort out. Please note that I have not attempted the steps in the support article, so I can't tell you what specifically might go wrong. I can tell you that the article includes information about configuring a primary domain controller, which is not directly applicable to WHS (domain membership is not supported for the server) so you may have to experiment a bit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• It should be possible to configure an authoritative time server on your WHS computer by following the instructions in this Microsoft support article. However, doing so is unsupported, and may cause problems with your server which could be difficult to sort out. Please note that I have not attempted the steps in the support article, so I can't tell you what specifically might go wrong. I can tell you that the article includes information about configuring a primary domain controller, which is not directly applicable to WHS (domain membership is not supported for the server) so you may have to experiment a bit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Cashpot, many routers have a time server function built in, which usually only needs to be activated, and pointed at an internet time server.  This (if your router supports it) would likely be far easier to configure than using WHS as your LAN time server.

What make/model of router might you be using?

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:34 AM