Why an .EXE but no .DLL? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to learn how to use the IDE in Visual Studio Express 2008.  I am currently working through a tutorial located here:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235628(VS.80).aspx

I have succesfully made it through the "build project" (step 2 underneath the section called Add a Custom Property to the Control).  But in step 3 of the following section (called To add a control to the Toolbox) it references a .DLL that should have been created by my Build.  But the Build is creating a .EXE rather than a .DLL.  There is no mention of a .DLL in my Build Log -- only the .EXE. 

So ... way back up in step 2 under Create A New Project it told me:  "In the Project Types pane, select CLR in the Visual C++ node, then select Windows Forms Control Library in the Visual Studio installed templates pane.".  Well, in my VS New Project dialog I don't see a "windows forms control library" option under CLR -- I see Class Library, CLR Empty Project, CLR Console Application, and Windows Forms Application.  The last one there sounded closest to the instructions, so that is the one I chose for this project.  BUt now I'm wondering if the template was for an "application" if that's why I'm getting the .EXE.  And if I DID have an option that said "windows forms control library" if I would get the .DLL when I build?

Assuming that was the problem, I tried using the Search Online Templates button that is there in the New Projects / Templates dialog ... but I'm not seeing how to pull a "template" into VS.  Am I missing something here?  How do I pull in that template?  Or should I be able to create the DLL using the templates I already have?

I'm using VS Express 2008 version 3.5, SP3.  I just downloaded and installed it, so it is as "out of the box" as it can get!

Thanks for any help.
    Adam

• Moved by liurong luo Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:50 AM not a Debugger issue. (From:Visual Studio Debugger)
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hello Adam,

Thanks for your post!

"And if I DID have an option that said "windows forms control library" if I would get the .DLL when I build?"
    Yes.

"Am I missing something here?  How do I pull in that template?"
    please try to reinstall your VS to get the template, for example, a full installation.

"should I be able to create the DLL using the templates I already have?"
    Yes, you could. You could create a class library project and add User Controls in it.

By the way, this forum is about Visual Studio Debugger, you could get better support in a C++ forum, basically, it is off-topic here.

Sincerely

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Adam,

Thanks for your post!

"And if I DID have an option that said "windows forms control library" if I would get the .DLL when I build?"
    Yes.

"Am I missing something here?  How do I pull in that template?"
    please try to reinstall your VS to get the template, for example, a full installation.

"should I be able to create the DLL using the templates I already have?"
    Yes, you could. You could create a class library project and add User Controls in it.

By the way, this forum is about Visual Studio Debugger, you could get better support in a C++ forum, basically, it is off-topic here.

Sincerely

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:26 AM
  • OK.  I'll head over there.  I actually missed the description that says "including the development environment" on one of those C++ forums.  Thanks.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:24 AM