70-451. What books should I read? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I passed 70-433 recently and I am going to pass 70-451 as well.

But ther is no official study materials. So here is the question: is there eny recomendations for preparing to pass this exam?

On which BOL articles should I pay attention?

I am going to read this books: Itzik Ben-Gan (T-SQL Querying and T-SQL Programming), Kalen Delaney (Inside SQL Server). Anything else?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Sergey,

Well done on passing 70-433.  I found I did not need to do any further study to pass 70-451 the 70-433 training guide was enough.

My suggestion is get the transcender practice exam (now owned by Kaplan)

http://www.transcender.com/practice-exam/microsoft/70-451.kap

Using these questions you can see if you need any further knowledge.

If you get answers wrong you can look at the explanations, which then links to Technet or MSDN and describes the objective which is being covered.  Studying this material should get you up to test level.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: I have no connection with Transcender
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

I think that 70-441 and 70-442 study guides would be helpful, then look at what is new in 2008.  However I do think that the 2005 exams were harder than the 2008 exams, so I do not think you need to go that far.

I think the transcender exams would be sufficient.  The knowledge gained going the other route would be good to do anyway.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: I have watched the Certified Master readiniess videos and do not think they cover much of the development topics related to 70-451.

Maybe Firmbyte took 70-450, then I could understand the comments.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Sergey,

Well done on passing 70-433.  I found I did not need to do any further study to pass 70-451 the 70-433 training guide was enough.

My suggestion is get the transcender practice exam (now owned by Kaplan)

http://www.transcender.com/practice-exam/microsoft/70-451.kap

Using these questions you can see if you need any further knowledge.

If you get answers wrong you can look at the explanations, which then links to Technet or MSDN and describes the objective which is being covered.  Studying this material should get you up to test level.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: I have no connection with Transcender
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hi, Ozzy.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I've already noticed the Trancender prcatice exam. I am thinking of bying it.

I also wonder if the MS Training kits for exams 70-441 and 70-442 will be helpful? Of course I should take new features of the SQL Server 2008 into account.

Best regards, Sergey.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:55 AM
  • I just passed the exam, score: 935. I'm really week on xml and I think that's where I dropped points.

I used the books and white papers listed on the Certified Masters page. I also found the Certified Masters readiness videos invaluable: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/ff977043.aspx

Good luck.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

I think that 70-441 and 70-442 study guides would be helpful, then look at what is new in 2008.  However I do think that the 2005 exams were harder than the 2008 exams, so I do not think you need to go that far.

I think the transcender exams would be sufficient.  The knowledge gained going the other route would be good to do anyway.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: I have watched the Certified Master readiniess videos and do not think they cover much of the development topics related to 70-451.

Maybe Firmbyte took 70-450, then I could understand the comments.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Thank you all guys for your answers, They are very helpfull.

Thanks egain and good luck.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:14 AM