Validation Failure: Product Key Failed Validation 0x80080211 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Supplied a PC to a customer with an OEM copy of Windows XP home both of which were purchased from my supplier. Attemping to valindate Windows when installing Windows media player failed.

Please help me to resolve this issue for my customer bareing in mind that I don't want to do to many unpaid hours resolving WGA issues for Microsoft.

Windows Genuine Advantage Results Report
    Validation Incomplete: Unable to collect enough information about your PC to make a determination.

Reasons this PC Failed
    You have chosen to exit the validation process.

Actions
    Correct the problem listed above.
    If you believe your copy of Windows is genuine, then attempt to resolve the issue listed above and return to complete the validation process.
    Print this report and take it to your reseller.
    Your reseller can help you obtain a genuine copy of Windows.
    Purchase a genuine copy of Windows.
    If your reseller is unable to help you, you can purchase a genuine copy of Windows at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=41876

Actual Data Gathered

Automatically Gathered  5/20/2006 
    OS Version: Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2
    Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    Model: MS-7181
    PID: 76477-OEM-2167775-27044

Additional Resources
    Report piracy if you suspect the copy of Windows you are running is counterfeit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=41942

Keep your computer up-to-date with Automatic Updates: http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

Learn more about how to tell if your Microsoft products are genuine: http://www.howtotell.com

Please Contact Us if you are unable to complete the steps above or would like to provide feedback: http://register.microsoft.com/contactus30/contactus.asp?domain=genuine

Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:28 AM

Answers

•  Chris Caston wrote:
    Yeah. I want my week back ;)

I have gained some useful knowldege though I hope.

I like how MS allows the user to pay online to upgrade a pirate copy of XP to a legitmate one and get a serial number.  It is still more than what I usually sell OEM copies for (when I bundle them with hardware of course)

I wonder if there is a way I can sell licensed upgrades to customers even when I have no media in stock.

Is there a reseller type arrangement possible?

I apologize for the mixup caused earlier (I did read the link you posted earlier, but removed it because of the display of an email address). I'm glad though, the issue got resolved.

I can only speculate as to what happened, but if you need further assistance with the WGA program, please dont hesitate to ask.

-Phil Liu

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:06 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2006 5:22 AM

All replies

• The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check process does not complete when you try to validate your copy of Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;905226

You receive a "Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure" error message or a "0x80080204" error code when you try to validate Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;906533  

Saturday, May 20, 2006 2:23 PM
  • This actually happened after downloading and running genuinecheck.exe and pasting the resulting code into the page as the "alternate validation method"

I'm going back on Tuesday to try to resolve the issue.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:33 AM
  • Hello,

There were other problems with the PC:

* Failure to communicate with serial port modem most (but not all) of the time

* Eratic keyboard behavoiour and at one point no input would be entered and LEDs were flashing until a complete system and PSU power-off.

I took the system back to RA and the RA tech found nothing wrong with it and was able to use a different serial port modem with no problems. 

The original modem is currently being used without issue on the customers old PC while she waits for me to resolve all these problems and get her new PC back to her.

The RA tech did not attempt to check Windows validation even though I asked him to. He did however print off an e-mail with the phone number for MS licensing telling me to call them.

I now have the system back at my crampt home office conected to my Adesso keyboard with built in touch-pad (keeps the RSI away) through my ATEN KVM that also is currently supporting 1 Windows an 1 Linux desktop.

I don't have a serial port modem here so I cannot check it. I simply have it plugged into my LAN/ADSL connection. Windows validation is failing differently this time in that it's just blatently telling me the key is non-genuine. However I noticed I do still get the same error code: [0x80080211]

WGAdiag.exe output is below. I also used the other tool the change the key (again) to what it says on the COA sticker.

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KQ2Y2-K8JF2-XHQ7Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: 9XujInrC6bmG+sV7NhNa8fd77iM=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2167775-27044
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: LXSC5X4
    ID: b1af308e-cd3c-410c-a1e6-1ce0ba9d51b4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: H:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b1af308e-cd3c-410c-a1e6-1ce0ba9d51b4</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XHQ7Y</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2167775-27044</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-527237240-776561741-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7181</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051103000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>391933EF0184205D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Australia Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:44 AM
  • After installing the latest updates I am now getting the full warnings that "I may be a victim of software counterfeiting" at logon.

This is a OEM copy of XP that I purchased with the PC from a reputable wholesaler. Do I need to RA the software or is there a problem somewhere else?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:17 AM
  • When others have posted the results of "Blocked PID" and License Type "COA/Sysembuilder" [sic], the MS reps have replied that the Product Key used to activate the XP installation was either generated by an unauthorized key generator, or that the Prdocut Key was reported lost or stolen by its original owner.

Does the computer have a genuine MS Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the side, top, back, or with a laptop the bottom?  If so, tell us which XP is on the COA, Home, Pro, or Media Center.  Also tell us if the COA has the words "OEM Software" printed in black, or if it has the computer manufacturer's name printed in black.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

If there is a genuine COA, as a rule the computer is still licensed to run the version of XP that is on the COA.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:58 PM
  • Yes. I'm a call out PC techncian. I regularly purchase OEM version of XP home for my customers either with new systems or bundled with hardware such as a new HD and additional RAM. I always affix the sticker to the exterior of the PC and this system is no different. I did notice bump on the right edge "tab" of the sticker is missing the adhesive.
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:53 AM
  • Chris,

If the apparently bogus Product Key used to install was different from the genuine Product Key on the COA (but both are for the same edition of XP, menaing both are Home or Pro), perhaps running the Key Updater would apply the genuine Product Key to the installation, making it Genuine.

Product Key Updater from MS:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Sunday, May 28, 2006 1:52 PM
  • Are you suggesting that I made a typo when entering the product key?

The resulting typo passed the algorithm and allowed me to activate yet later failed validation?

The best I can figure out at the moment it must be a:

duplication problem  e.g someone accidently used my key then sold me the product.

I think that Microsoft should vacuum seal their product keys from now on.

What is:

Download Center code: KCMFH5B

?

Monday, May 29, 2006 2:00 AM
  • Chris,

Just for clarification, have we established that the Product Key on the COA is identical to the product key for the copy of XP that is currently installed on this computer?

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:21 AM
  • I've re-entered it twice. I don't think i've got a B mixed up with an 8 or some such similar issue. I'm just doing it one more time to check again partly to re-check my own accuracy and partly to see if the status of the product key has changed at all with me kicking up such a fuss about it :-P

My supplier has offered to replace the software for me.
    Monday, May 29, 2006 12:53 PM
  • Chris,

At least you have some good news about your supplier making good on the media.  Now if only someone would compensate you for lost time!!!  ;-)

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Yeah. I want my week back ;)

I like how MS allows the user to pay online to upgrade a pirate copy of XP to a legitmate one and get a serial number.  It is still more than what I usually sell OEM copies for (when I bundle them with hardware of course)

I wonder if there is a way I can sell licensed upgrades to customers even when I have no media in stock.

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:11 PM
  • Welcome to the System Builder Web Site http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:53 AM
  • Chris, I apologize, I had to delete your email because it had an email address in there that wasn't given consent to be publicized.
    Friday, June 2, 2006 5:20 AM
  •  Chris Caston wrote:
    Yeah. I want my week back ;)

I apologize for the mixup caused earlier (I did read the link you posted earlier, but removed it because of the display of an email address). I'm glad though, the issue got resolved.

I can only speculate as to what happened, but if you need further assistance with the WGA program, please dont hesitate to ask.

-Phil Liu

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:06 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2006 5:22 AM
  • Phil,

I actually bought another OEM copy of Windows XP home for my customers PC because I wanted to save the time and petrol it would take to go out there to get the media and green book back.

Now I have been out to setup the customers PC again and I have the media and green book as well and the somewhat scruffy COA that I removed from the exterior of the PC and sticktaped back onto the  green book.

On speaking to my supplier today they said they would might need to check if the COA is still blocked before they would replace it for me.

How can I find out if it is still blocked?
    Will I have to call up MS licensing to activatge it and assure them that it is license is not being used on any other PC?

Friday, June 2, 2006 12:52 PM