Restore songs from My Music RRS feed

• Question

• I have hundreds of songs in My Music and my entire iTunes Library backed up by One Care on my external hard drive.  I can restore the entire iTunes Library using One Care restore, fully functional, but I try to "restore" one song from My Music and get the "not at this address" message.  I've got a powerful PC and plenty of unused memory.  How do you get one song restored to your PC from your external hard drive?  Each song is listed in the backup report.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to restore files - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171
    Paragraph #5 explains how to restore a single file.
    Jim
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Thanks, Jim,

I wanted to be sure I know how to do this.  Occasionally I accidentally send a song into cyberspace, and recently I lost everything when my PC crashed and I learned my Maxtor One Touch external hard drive had a factory defect, and although it would go through its diagnostics OK, when I really needed it, it was useless.

To test Restore, I got to the "Search box" and typed in one song title, exactly as it appears in My Music.  I got the "could not find" message.  Experimenting around, I typed just one word of the file and got the file I wanted along with a few dozen others that also had that one word in their tag.  I wondered why I couldn't get just the one I wanted using its full tag as it appears in My Music?

Anyhow, I checked the one I wanted and clicked Restore Files.  Then, using the C:\...I clicked my way to the Restore folder, a couple more clicks and there it was.  Then I had to "Save As" to Desktop and got a copy of the song on my desktop. 

That's a lot of clicking for one song, and I wonder if it's the only way.

So, the questions are:

1) Is there an easier way to restore one song?

2) Why can I display the song when I type in one word from the file name, but not when I type in the full tag for the song?

3) How do I use One Care to copy all the contents of My Music and iTunes Library to a new, second backup external hard drive for music only?  I can't find instructions to do this.  Where do I look?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Restoring a single file is not particularly easy, as you've found. I don't know that there is any "easier" way.

I don't know how the search works, but it may well be doing something with the space between words, causing it to burp. I wonder if entering the song title as "name of song" inside quotes would make a difference... I can't verifiy, not having a backup handy to search.

There is no way to select a folder of files to restore. You can select all files by type or you can use the painful search process for one a time selection. You may be able to sort the restore selection list by the path, but that still may not restore the library if it also contains files of other types.

If your intent is to copy the libraries from your internal drive to an external drive - not back them up, I'd suggest using a free utility provided by Microsoft to do this: SyncToy.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en

OneCare doesn't copy files, per se, it makes a compressed backup. Synctoy is what I use to keep a copy of a folder synchronized between two or more PCs and drives. Create an empty folder on the destination and choose Echo to copy all changes from left to right - that is, source to destination.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:45 PM
  • OK,

Thanks Steve,

I've made a Snagit copy of your advice and will refer to it to do some more experimenting around, with Synctoy for one.

To complicate matters, I've ripped each (vinyl) song to My Music in .wav to one folder using Roxio Easy Media Creator and, using Audacity, in .mp3 to another folder in My Music.  I want the .wav songs stored in full fidelity on a permanent external hard drive dedicated to songs only, so I can go back later, restore a song that doesn't play well to Desktop, say, and then run it through a program like Diamond Cut to get all the pops and hisses out.

Then I'll use Roxio to burn all the .wav to DVD.  DVDs store 7 times more songs than a CD.  The manufacturers don't want you to archive songs on DVD, it's clear, but I've found a way to do it.  The trouble is, although you can play your new DVDs back to your PC and they appear with the artist-title-album-genre tags you've attached to them, and they play just fine,  but, when you use Roxio to get a song off your new DVD to your desktop, say, to work on it, all your painstakingly-typed tags are lost and all you get is "Movie 1, Scene 1."  You have to keep a hand written list of the tags to match them to the Movie/Scene display.

Fair enough, I want to dump all the .wav from my internal hard drive to save memory, have the .wav on DVD and a separate external hard drive, and have the .mp3 on internal hard drive to use in iTunes, etc., but it's a lot of extra typing.

You say "One Care doesn't copy files, per se, it makes a compressed backup."  Damn!  Now I'm wondering what One Care backup has done with all my .wav songs.  I hope it hasn't compressed them.  I wanted them in .wav, no loss of fidelity, so, later, I can work on the songs that don't play well with an editing appplication.  Well, I shall find out.  You've gotten me off to a good start. 

Many thanks,

Del
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:23 AM
  •  Compression into a zip file for archival purposes is very different than compression used by a codec when taking an audio file from wav to mp3. So, yes, OneCare backup compressed the wav files, but when you restore them, they are exactly as they were before being zipped up in the backup process.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:57 PM