PP3 Start time / end time RRS feed

• Question

• With PP3 installed, the WHS start time is set to 9PM, end time is set to 7AM, all EST, all the times are correct on the clients.

The server starts its backup after 2am, not 9pm.

Can anyone explain why the server doesn't start its backup at 9pm or thereabouts?

Is there any way to solve this problem, and yes I do need 10 hours to do the backups, it's over a slow connection.  Ken indicated in a prior post that that the clients will usually start their backup within the first 1/2 of the window.  Is there no way to get the system to start when it is supposed to start?

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• Check to make sure the server and client computer are configured to use an appropriate time zone? And the first computer to back up any given night will usually not start a backup at the beginning of the window. My backup window at home is 6 hours long, and I'm oftgen up at the beginning of the window. I have three computers that are configured to back up physically resident in my office (and 3 others elsewhere in the house) and many nights the first backup is an hour or more into the window.

If you want to force a backup at a particular time, you can do so by running the backup client with the -a parameter.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• (Note: much of this can be found in the console help file, or the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. Please consult those sources and get back to us if anything is still not clear.)

Backups are controlled by the client computer, not the server. If, when the client computer starts it's backup, there is another backup already running, it will queue up and wait for backups already in the queue to complete. During each backup, the client computer queries the server as to the current backup window, and then the client picks a random time within the first half of that window to back up the next time. Given that your window is 10 hours long, and you say that you need 10 hours to do all of your backups, you should expect to see some clients starting backups near 2:00 AM (which is 1/2 way through your window) or even later, if a backup is already running. 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:42 PM
  • The first backup starts at 2am.

It would be logical for the first backup to start at 9pm or thereabouts.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Check to make sure the server and client computer are configured to use an appropriate time zone? And the first computer to back up any given night will usually not start a backup at the beginning of the window. My backup window at home is 6 hours long, and I'm oftgen up at the beginning of the window. I have three computers that are configured to back up physically resident in my office (and 3 others elsewhere in the house) and many nights the first backup is an hour or more into the window.

If you want to force a backup at a particular time, you can do so by running the backup client with the -a parameter.

• Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

The time zones are the same, but appreciate the '-a' answer for client #1.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:48 PM