USB hub connection problems RRS feed

• Question

• I run windows vista and I have a HDD conected to a belkin USB hub through a wireless network connection. I can only connect to the HDD if I manually turn off the firewall / connect / then turn the firewall back on. After this everything works as it should. I have checked all the usual settings and everything seems as it should be.

has anyone had similar problems?

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers

• This hub works just fine with one care - the problem is that the instructions from Belkin are incorrect.

If you want to use it, you have to allow the application (as per their instructions) but you also have to add port 19540 inbound and outbound, TCP AND UDP.

Hope that helps you guys - mine is working fine.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that it is a wireless USB hub? Meaning that you connect wirelessly to the devices attached to that USB hub and that there is a receiver/transmitter on the PC to enable the communications, or is the Belkin device attached to your network wirelessly and acting as a Network Accessible Storage device (NAS) with one or more hard drives attached? What is the make and model of the Belkin device?

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:31 PM
  • the belkin usb hub is connected to the wireless transmitter via a cable. the HDD is conected to the USB hub via a usb port. the laptop is on the wireless network. the hub is a belkin network usb hub see it here http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-and-wi-fi/belkin-network-usb-hub/4505-3243_7-32467513.html

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Interesting. It is basically a device on your network and it allows multiple PCs to access things that are attached to the hub.

This quote stands out for me:

The bad: Some software firewalls impede communication (but Belkin provides step-by-step workarounds); not all USB devices are supported; only Windows XP and Vista are supported so far.

I was unable to find the step by step workarounds alluded to by that quote. In fact, this is what the FAQ (http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5L009&aid=7776&scid=0) stated:

Question

How do firewalls impact the Network USB Hub?

Answer

If users have the Windows firewall activated, the Network USB Hub will automatically detect this and ask the user if they wish to allow the Hub to work from behind the firewall.  Other firewall users will need to manually allow the Network USB Hub to work by adding the device driver to their list of allowed programs.

I would not expect turning the firewall off and back on again after connecting to the device to work, but perhaps the driver his being allowed if it already has the active connection or the ports/protocols for the initial connection differ from those for when in use.

In any event, my recommendation is to contact Belkin support for help since they apparently have documentation on how to make this work with Firewalls somewhere, though I was unable to locate it in the User manual or in their limited FAQ for the device.
    -steve
    Monday, March 24, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Thanks for looking at the problem I have emailed the belkin support site as I could not find the workarounds that were mentioned on the site either.

Cheers

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:09 PM
  • I'll be interested in reading the solution, so I'll leave this open in the hope that you are able to provide it after hearing from Belkin.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:20 PM
  •  dave88 wrote:

Thanks for looking at the problem I have emailed the belkin support site as I could not find the workarounds that were mentioned on the site either.

Cheers

It works most of the time if you open up ports 50,000 to 60,000 and also add UDP entries for port 19540 inbound and outbound. I have tried repeatedly to get an answer from Belkin support, butb they seem to have zero knowledge about their products and just keep asking me questions I have already answered. Post an answer if you get one and I will do likewise.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:11 AM
  • If you have the Belkin Network USB Hub Control Centre software installed then try this page;

C:\Program Files\Belkin\Network USB Hub Control Center\Help\Firewall\Firewall.html - it is local to your machine and installed along with the software, it includes details on different firewalls and OneCare is listed on there.

Hope this helps! Worked for me! :-)

Kev.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Thanks, Kev.

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:38 PM
  •  

I am having the same problem.  I have the wireless Belkin Network USB Hub F5L009.  I am able to get it connected but cannot connect the devices (external hard drives) which are listed in the control center.  When I go to the Belkin help on firewall connection with the Live OneCare the information it has not been updated and I cannot follow the prompts.  I have updated the drivers.  Everything worked with Norton 360 but I cannot get it to work with One Care.  I uninstalled Norton 360.  I am running VISTA.

I called Belkin and was told to uninstall and reinstall, but cannot uninstall even when I unplug the hub. I get the message that it in use.  When it was unplugged I could not shut down and had to hard boot.  When I go to the Belkin connection guide it asks for a password but I have forgotten it and that is why Belkin told me to uninstall and reinstall.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled Belkin and followed the instructions to add the ports and am still unable to connect the devices.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:37 PM
  • I'm sorry to read that you were unable to get this to work yet. I recommend that you contact support and be sure to refer to this thread and the information provided by Belkin if they are not already aware of it.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:31 AM
  • I have spent a long time on the phone with Belkin and their solution is to disable the firewall! There is no patch available at this time!  I was told to disable the firewall whenever I want to use the devices but that is whenever I have the computer on.  I may have go back to Norton's.

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I must agree, while I have got the Belkin utility to work with OneCare without any problem, I do think the program is lacking in many areas in comparison to the Norton applications which have been developed over many years!

Kev.

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:38 PM
  •  pratclif wrote:

I have spent a long time on the phone with Belkin and their solution is to disable the firewall! There is no patch available at this time!  I was told to disable the firewall whenever I want to use the devices but that is whenever I have the computer on.  I may have go back to Norton's.

I'm sorry that the problem persists. Have you contacted OneCare support as I suggested?

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:51 AM
  • I am so tired of hassling with this.  When I clicked on your link it doesn't take me where I want.  I may try later. I keep getting referred to the forum.  How do I get any actual help?

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  pratclif wrote:
    I am so tired of hassling with this.  When I clicked on your link it doesn't take me where I want.  I may try later. I keep getting referred to the forum.  How do I get any actual help?

The link is to a forum post that explains how to contact support. You can get to support via Help in OneCare. It requires a bunch of convoluted steps, but you can see your support options once your subscription is validated.

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:40 PM
  • This hub works just fine with one care - the problem is that the instructions from Belkin are incorrect.

If you want to use it, you have to allow the application (as per their instructions) but you also have to add port 19540 inbound and outbound, TCP AND UDP.

Hope that helps you guys - mine is working fine.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Thanks, Mark.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  

Ok i have windows vista 32 bit, i got it by mail bc when i ordered my pc vista wasnt released yet, ive had to go in and manually update many drivers, i just got the belkin usb hub with some other software but now my pc seems too freeze in screen alot i dunno if its the hub, the other new software i bought at the same time, or if i need another update, when i say freezing i cant close it out or terminate it in the task manager, i have to hold the power button down, im having alot of problems like this now, and ive even made sure the hub was off and not even running on my pc and its still doing this. please help, i hate manually powering off my pc bc the windows freeze and wont close.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:34 PM
  • tylerw243,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Live OneCare program forum. Your question is off topic as well as outside of my expertise. Please try posting here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=714&SiteID=17

Thank you for visiting the Live OneCare program forum for Firewall help.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:06 AM
  • I also was having the same issue with Vista and Onecare with the Belkin usb network hub and tried Belkin to no avail. So tinkering arround with the firewall settings I did something that apparantly works for my setup, when you setup the two 19540 ports instead of setting them to be only TCP, set them to be TCP/UDP (last option) and then save them. That is what fixed my issue hopefully it will help all of you with yours.

Monday, September 22, 2008 8:07 PM
  • I had the same problem - followed Belkin instructions but had to set the protocol to TCP/UDP (instead of TCP as the instructions state)

Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:01 PM
  • I have call Belkin all they say is call Microsoft about their firewall; I have added the port 19540 in and out bound per their instruction without any success. Does anyone have the correct answer?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:02 AM
  • That fixed it thank you.

Should someone call BELKIN tech support and tell them how to fix their setup problems.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:09 AM
  •  By way of thanks...

shufner's suggestion worked like a charm

Follow the Belkin firewall setup options for onecare in the FAQ section you can find when opening the Hub Controller software (under "How to use Network USB hub") then do what he suggests

I spent hours trying to sort out this exact problem with a Belkin F5L009 v2(uk) hub - not tried it with any USB storage devices yet but it seems to work fine with printers

Monday, February 2, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Definately. The Belkin software does not work correctly with the windows firewall. A Belkin tech told me that the driver are also not digitally signed and that's the reason why. Use the port 19540 instructions, and do like me, never buy another Belkin.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi guys, 
       I have a problem with the same Belkin USB network hub ( Grrr). I have 2 pcs.. My desktop runs windows XP sp3 and connects to my network wirelessly and everything works fine here regarding the hub.  I also have a tosh laptop that used to run Vista premium X86 but now is running the RC of win7. When i use my laptop I find that when I connect to the hub WIRELESSLY after a few seconds it drops the hard drive I've connected to the hub. This occured with both vista and win7.  The interesting thing  about the problem is when i use a network cable from my router to my network card on my laptop i have no issues with the hub whatsoever but this defeats the purpose of using the hub in the first place! I have tried  enabling  firewalls  ( windows Built in firewall) and have tried adding ports as mentioned above but my problems persist when running wirelessly in vista or win7.  I have also tried a second vista laptop  wirelessly connecting to hub but same issue occurs.  Any ideas people as like above Belkin support do not have a clue what we are on about!!
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Hi guys, 
       I have a problem with the same Belkin USB network hub ( Grrr). I have 2 pcs.. My desktop runs windows XP sp3 and connects to my network wirelessly and everything works fine here regarding the hub.  I also have a tosh laptop that used to run Vista premium X86 but now is running the RC of win7. When i use my laptop I find that when I connect to the hub WIRELESSLY after a few seconds it drops the hard drive I've connected to the hub. This occured with both vista and win7.  The interesting thing  about the problem is when i use a network cable from my router to my network card on my laptop i have no issues with the hub whatsoever but this defeats the purpose of using the hub in the first place! I have tried  enabling  firewalls  ( windows Built in firewall) and have tried adding ports as mentioned above but my problems persist when running wirelessly in vista or win7.  I have also tried a second vista laptop  wirelessly connecting to hub but same issue occurs.  Any ideas people as like above Belkin support do not have a clue what we are on about!!

I am having the exact same issue. I'll try opening the ports on the router firewall, maybe that'll help. If not, I heard in some mac forum that connecting the power supply directly to an outlet (as opposed to UPC) helped. If all fails, maybe i'll behead a chicken, light up some candles, and write a letter to belkin.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Hi guys, 

I am having the exact same issue. I'll try opening the ports on the router firewall, maybe that'll help. If not, I heard in some mac forum that connecting the power supply directly to an outlet (as opposed to UPC) helped. If all fails, maybe i'll behead a chicken, light up some candles, and write a letter to belkin.

I have the same issue.  I have two USB HDDs attached to the hub (F5L009 V2) , a Maxtor OneTouch II, and a Seagate Freeagent Pro.  The hub is connected to a D-Link 2640T ADSL+ dialer/router.  My XP Home desktop connects to the hub via ethernet and works just fine.  My Vista Home Premium laptop which connects to the hub wirelessly, drops the connection after a couple of minutes and locks up, essentially requiring a reboot.

I received the usual instructions involving upgrading the firmware/software/manual reset/powercycling from Belkin, but they didn't help.  I think the latest firmware/software already came with the package.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:59 AM
  • I had the same issue. Try changing the drives file system from NTFS to FAT32 - worked for me. There's of course one downside - can't have files over 4gb in size...
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:20 AM
  • this is my first day here and first post and not really directed to mistereq .but i may have some help directed towards win 7 and the belkin f5l009. its working on my 3 year old lt and older desk top, both running win 7.      check this out  http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/2821-belkin-network-usb-hub-f5l009.html. what really did it for me was installing belkins software in vista compatibility mode. i could see the drives and printer conected to the hub but couldnt get any action. inbound tcp/udb are both set for port 19540 and  no rules for outbound.

for some reason my lt worked fine from the gitgo but not my desk top. i compared and made both as identical as possible using lan connections on both as my desk top with broblem was lan on by default and my lt was wireless.

hope its of some help.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, installed the f5l009 driver from cd it made it mostly through the installation before the setup64.exe failed,  i went into the cd finished copying the files into my computer program files ran the program and the program ran but wouldnt connect to any device, i found this link and allowed incomming and outgoing tcp and udp on the 19540 and its working now, thanks to this thread

ty for the help 
    jon 
    • Edited by norcalboy Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:48 AM typo
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:47 AM
  • hi! morning  asking to you why did my computer did not play the games dota all star
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:03 AM
  • hi! morning  asking to you why did my computer did not play the games dota all star

Eh? Are you using Windows Live OneCare? I'm not sure what you are asking or what problem you may be having.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:06 AM
  • Many thanks for your answer.  I have been trying to get my HP CP1215 printer to connect for 2 months without success.  Thanks to you and this thread the problem is now solved and I can now install Windows 7 on my fiancee's Sony laptop.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:19 PM