Data Migration from once CRM Organisation to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Due to a corruption, I need to remove and reinstall CRM server and its databases. But first I need to take a backup of ALL contacts, accounts and leads and import them into the new deployment.

Can anyone recommend the best way of doing this?

Thanks,
    Kia 
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

• It would be nice if I could take the output of the SQL filtered view and insert it into the new database.
    You can, with Scribe.

Everything else you are going to have to export to CSV.  If it is a major migration, you are going to pay either up front for Scribe or with manual work to export to CSV, import through DMM and  mapping for all of your relationships.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:47 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:55 AM

All replies

• A great tool that is able to export almost any data from Dynamics CRM to a CSV file is Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Bulk Update and Export tool (you can download it for free from http://www.codeplex.com/mscrmbulkupdatetool). You will then be able to import this data onto your new deployment.

If the corruption is not as severe, you may be able to simply backup the current database, and on your new deployment, import the organization, and point to a database that you restored from that backup. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about a thing, but if things really went awry, the aforementioned Update and Export tool is the way to go.

Kind regards,
      Tomasz

Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:33 AM
  • Thanks Tomasz,

Good suggestion, but I've already tried that tool. I'm afraid it does quite do the job for me. The export fine, though its just an export from a saved view function. The import into the new system returns several errors on each record. Far too many to try to manually fix. It will take me weeks.

Is there anything I can use?

It would be nice if I could take the output of the SQL filtered view and insert it into the new database.

Sunday, April 5, 2009 7:17 AM
  • This tutorial will show you how to import multiple records and create the relationships you need when importing the records with the Data Migration Manager.  If this does not work for you then I would take a look at Scribe Software.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 : Data Migration Manager with John O'Donnell

Scribe software

www.scribesoft.com
    Best Regards, Donna
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:20 PM
  • It would be nice if I could take the output of the SQL filtered view and insert it into the new database.
    You can, with Scribe.

Everything else you are going to have to export to CSV.  If it is a major migration, you are going to pay either up front for Scribe or with manual work to export to CSV, import through DMM and  mapping for all of your relationships.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:47 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:55 AM