none
MCPD/MCTS Certifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been developing for some time now in VB6, C# Windows Forms, ASP.NET, and Silverlight 3/4; although only part time, as I am a systems administrator. Developing has been my passion ever since I acquired my first computer, but my career took a different path; well..... not entirely. I have developed a couple ASP.NET applications and I am currently starting to develop in Silverlight. In looking for a full time Web Developer job opportunity, I noticed that most of the employers ask for experience and/or a bachelors degree in computer science. So, I would like to get a certification as a web developer. My question is, where do I start? I like reading a lot, but I believe that training videos sometimes are a better source. 

Obviously, I have been researching a lot and it seems like I need to take the 70-536 exam first. Is this still the case? What is the difference between the MCPD and the MCTS certifications? I want to get certified in Visual Studio 2010 as this is the latest version. Do I need to get certified in VS 2008?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you want to get certified for Vsual Studio 2010, you do not have to do any exams for Visual Studio 2008.

So my suggestion is to directly go for the Visual Staudio 2010 exams and when you want to be  web developer, I would suggest to start with the 70-515 exam and then heading forward to get the MCPD title.

In general: the TS exams head towards a MCTS title and cover a more or less closed block of technology. Then there are so called PRO exams that have one or more MCTS prerequisites (so you have to pass these exams first to get the certification) and they cover a biger area and normaly no longer the technical details but more the "how and why do you do this?". he certification of the Pro exams can be different. regardind Visual Studio it is a MCPD certification. Other pro exams give MCITP certificatons.

Details about the Visual Studio 2010 exams can be found at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

I hope I was able to help you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

if you want to get certified for Vsual Studio 2010, you do not have to do any exams for Visual Studio 2008.

So my suggestion is to directly go for the Visual Staudio 2010 exams and when you want to be  web developer, I would suggest to start with the 70-515 exam and then heading forward to get the MCPD title.

In general: the TS exams head towards a MCTS title and cover a more or less closed block of technology. Then there are so called PRO exams that have one or more MCTS prerequisites (so you have to pass these exams first to get the certification) and they cover a biger area and normaly no longer the technical details but more the "how and why do you do this?". he certification of the Pro exams can be different. regardind Visual Studio it is a MCPD certification. Other pro exams give MCITP certificatons.

Details about the Visual Studio 2010 exams can be found at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

I hope I was able to help you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Konrad,

Thanks for your reply.

How about exam 70-536? Do I still need to pass it? As far as I know this is a required exam.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:07 AM
  • No, the 70-536 is only required if you do the Visual Studio 2008 exaams. It is not a required exam for the VS 2010 exams.

So if you look at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-515&locale=en-us: There is no prerequisite for this exam.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:20 AM
    Answerer