none
LiveWriter crashing whenever I input a YouTube video. RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently reinstalled Vista and I'm now using the latest version of Live Writer (before, I was using the beta). Live Writer has always handled video embeds exceptionally well. Cut, then paste within Live Writer, and it's always worked perfectly. But the first time I tried to do that with the fresh Vista Install (w/ SP1) and the new Essentials version, LiveWriter immediately crashed. So I tried using the "insert video" dialog. This is the error I received.
    System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageA(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.Video.VideoContentSource.CreateContentForm(IWin32Window dialogOwner, ISmartContent content, List`1 videoSources, Int32 selectedTab)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.Video.VideoContentSource.CreateContent(IWin32Window dialogOwner, ISmartContent content)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.ContentSources.ContentSourceManager.PerformInsertion(IContentSourceSite sourceSite, ContentSourceInfo contentSource)

I've not found anything on the Web from anyone having this problem, but it's driving me crazy.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:25 AM

All replies

• This is an Internet Explorer error, which we use Internet Explorer for the editor in Windows Live Writer.  Try resetting your IE settings, disabling plugins(except for Adobe Flash), and also verify you are using the newest Adobe Flash.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Ah. See, I use Firefox exclusively. Installing Flash for IE fixed it. Thanks so much.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:45 AM