Why request administrator rights when connecting USB flash memory.. RRS feed

• Question

•  

There are some workstations with Windows XP SP2 where users within Power Users group can not install flash memories.  Every time a flash memory is connected a dialog appears requesting admin credentials. Whether no credentials, it says "You must be a member of administrators group..." 

How could I avoid this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

L. 

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:01 PM

All replies

• The Power Users group is a pre-determined group; so you can't change the permissions of the group. Maybe you could, but it would be a very bad practice. The most obvious way to get around it is to use an account in the aministrator-group or to use 'run as' in the command console.

Shems

"When the machine brakes down, we break down"
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:28 PM
  • >BUMP< IT

Post is waiting for an answer ....

• Edited by Shems Monday, August 24, 2009 5:46 AM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Sorry, your idea is not a solution, who wants to give users admin rights? 

Look: Everytime you connect a usb device, the operating system log it in "C:\Windows\setupapi.log", you can check there any trouble you have. 

In my case the problem was a DLL not signed. You can solve it by replacing the DLL with the DLL of another PC which doesn't have the same problem.

In order to perform file signature verifications, use start - run - sigverif.

I hope you find this valuable.

Regards,

L.

• Proposed as answer by Shems Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:05 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Replacing the dll seems to me like a more unsecure method compared to the 'run as' function.
    I found your post helpfull .... but I'm more confused now, really.
    Information is the most valuable commodity I know off.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:30 AM