Removing Sales Pipeline RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a regulatory branch of a small government body and we have started down the process of replacing our regulatory software. After some initial requirements analysis we realized that our needs are very similar to a that of a small software company that tracks licenses. Essentially, we are looking at writing a CRM application except that it does not use the typical sales pipeline. We also do not need the marketing campaigns and some other specifics around leads and discounting. We do however, have a somewhat complicated license hierarchy.

We have started examining Dynamics to see if it fills our needs and so far we are rather impressed. What I would like to know is how we would remove or alter the Sales/Marketing/Leads aspect of the application. Any help finding documentation on this would be fantastic.

Sincerely,

Dinsdale
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Dinsdale,

Reading the MS CRM 4.0 User's guide will help you get an idea of what you can do in MS CRM. URL below:

If you want to know how to make changes to the system. i.e. add fields to forms, use workflows, customize views etc.. I recommend you get your hands on the MS CRM 4 books. 

I have pasted linkes to two good books below.

If you have specific questions about what is possible or how to do certain things in MS CRM 4.0 you can always post your questions here.

Hassan.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Dinsdale -

You'll find CRM to be an excellent application platform for your application - I've seen several customers who do exactly what you do - without a sales pipeline in CRM

If, in CRM security you remove the rights to an entity, in this case the 'opportunity', that part of the application will no longer be visable to the users. (The system administrator would still have all rights, but normal users willl only see the part of the application you determine.)

This works well and is system wide and comprehensive.

I would encourage you to set up a 2nd user with a test role and then experiment with adding/removing 'read' rights to different objects in CRM for the role and see how the application changes for that user. - It's really quite powerful.

Good luck.
    Scott Sewell CustomerEffective.com
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Dinsdale,

Reading the MS CRM 4.0 User's guide will help you get an idea of what you can do in MS CRM. URL below:

If you want to know how to make changes to the system. i.e. add fields to forms, use workflows, customize views etc.. I recommend you get your hands on the MS CRM 4 books. 

I have pasted linkes to two good books below.

If you have specific questions about what is possible or how to do certain things in MS CRM 4.0 you can always post your questions here.

Hassan.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Dinsdale -

You'll find CRM to be an excellent application platform for your application - I've seen several customers who do exactly what you do - without a sales pipeline in CRM

If, in CRM security you remove the rights to an entity, in this case the 'opportunity', that part of the application will no longer be visable to the users. (The system administrator would still have all rights, but normal users willl only see the part of the application you determine.)

This works well and is system wide and comprehensive.

I would encourage you to set up a 2nd user with a test role and then experiment with adding/removing 'read' rights to different objects in CRM for the role and see how the application changes for that user. - It's really quite powerful.

Good luck.
    Scott Sewell CustomerEffective.com
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:19 PM
  • In case you are looking for just not showing the "Sales/Marketing" in the navigation pane(or any other section for that matter), MSCRM can be easily customized to do that. All you need to do is customize SiteMap entity for this. In fact, you have complete control on what you want to show even within each individual section.

Way to go!
    • Proposed as answer by Nimishas Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Editing the site map is certainly possible and if that's enough for you it's a quick change, but it will leave the 'opportunity' and other sales entities visible and associated with the accounts / contacts.  - Updating the security roles to remove permissions to the 'Opportunity / Quote / Order / Invoice / Lead' entity will make those entities invisible / inaccessable for your users. -   Either way CRM is a great platform for building any number of business applications - especially if cost / rapid deployment and flexibilty is important to your organization.
    Scott Sewell http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Dinsdale - Just wanted to follow up and see if you had looked at removing security 'rights' as a way to streamline CRM/remove 'sales' related entities. -

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:02 PM