How long should it take to add a drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed whs on an old (1ghz) computer.  it has a 320 gb internal drive and i've plugged in a 500gb usb drive.  it's been "adding the drive" ("Please wait while the hard drive is prepared for the server.  Status: Adding hard drive...") for over 8 hours.  Also, it's been balancing storage for the same length of time.  How long should it take?  Am I just being impatient?
    Friday, June 6, 2008 1:18 AM

Answers

•  jimdingo1780 wrote:
    I installed whs on an old (1ghz) computer.  it has a 320 gb internal drive and i've plugged in a 500gb usb drive.  it's been "adding the drive" ("Please wait while the hard drive is prepared for the server.  Status: Adding hard drive...") for over 8 hours.  Also, it's been balancing storage for the same length of time.  How long should it take?

Nowhere near that long (I would estimate about 1 minute).

jimdingo1780 wrote:
    Am I just being impatient?

How old is the computer?  Does the computer support USB 2.0?  (NOTE:  USB 1.1 is not supported and may very well be your problem.)

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

•  jimdingo1780 wrote:
    I installed whs on an old (1ghz) computer.  it has a 320 gb internal drive and i've plugged in a 500gb usb drive.  it's been "adding the drive" ("Please wait while the hard drive is prepared for the server.  Status: Adding hard drive...") for over 8 hours.  Also, it's been balancing storage for the same length of time.  How long should it take?

Nowhere near that long (I would estimate about 1 minute).

jimdingo1780 wrote:
    Am I just being impatient?

How old is the computer?  Does the computer support USB 2.0?  (NOTE:  USB 1.1 is not supported and may very well be your problem.)

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:14 AM
  • I never thought of that, but it makes sense.  Maybe I'll install an internal drive instead.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 4:20 AM
  •  jimdingo1780 wrote:
    I never thought of that, but it makes sense.  Maybe I'll install an internal drive instead.

You should be able to logon to the server desktop to find out for sure.  If it is 1.1, I think you should get the standard XP "This drive can run faster!" notification balloon in the system tray.

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:43 AM