Error in using Connector to add a client in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I built and installed a new WHS 2011 machine. I succusfully connected one of my Win 7 laptops to the server. I then tried running Connector on one of my Win 7 computers. When connector finds the Server, it start to run and then I get the following error:

"Cannot connect the computer to the server because another software installation is in progress or the computer has a pending restart. Either complete the installation process or restart the computer and try to connect again."

What in the world does this mean. What "software installation is in progress". How do I find or correct that?

Note that I had been using this computer to connect to a WHS 1 server. I uninstalled that old connector and deleted the logs file.

Thanks

Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:08 PM

Answers

• Assuming you did it as suggested, then I don't know how to proceed.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:16 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• This has been asked many times before on this forum - did you do a search?

It's probably to do with a Logitech webcam installation. Try this:

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Cir0 Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:30 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Phil for the reply.

Yes I did, and that does not fix the problem. I renamed "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2". It still thinks I have a pending restart. I even removed my Logitech programs but I did not have a Logitech Webcam.

Brian
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Assuming you did it as suggested, then I don't know how to proceed.
    • Marked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by blctech1 Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:16 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Hi Phil

I tried something else that one recommended on another site. I removed the key altogether and now the Connectore works. It also fixed a few others bugs on my system caused by that key.

Thanks for the help

Brian
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:16 PM