Colletta causing PowerPoint to hang/crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using PowerPoint 2010, exact version number 14.0.5128.5000, 32-bit. Here's what I did:

1. Close all of my Excel sessions. Check to make sure "EXCEL.EXE *32" is not running in Task Manager
    2. Start PowerPoint, and a blank presentation automatically created
    3. Insert a new slide
    4. I goto "Insert -> Object" and select "Microsoft Excel Worksheet"
    5. The Excel table is created in the slide deck. I enter some numbers and letters. Then PowerPoint hangs. Even the ribbon interface doesn't get refreshed. In some cases, it actually shows the old-school File menu bar.
    6. I have to use the Task Manager to kill PowerPoint. I notice "EXCEL.EXE *32" is running.

I exit out of Colletta and repeat steps 1 to 5 without any issues.

Help...

EDIT: Forgot to add this screen shot. This error message doesn't appear all the time. I only saw this once:

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Henry

• Edited by darthhen Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:51 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the detailed repro instructions: unfortunately, I don't get the hang here, though it is true that I have an excel.exe process hanging round after, which is obviously wrong (tried two separate machines, both running 64-bit Windows 7, and 32 bit Office 2010 - PowerPoint version number 14.0.6112.500).

I'll investigate further but all I can suggest for the moment is to disable the Project Colletta add-in for Excel (see the end of the user guide for details, but basically head to the add-ins section of Excel's options and uncheck the checkbox corresponding to the add-in). Note that there is (or should be!) no add-in for PowerPoint 2010 (there is one for PowerPoint 2007, but it's not required for 2010) - if you do find that one's being loaded, do let me know (and disable it too). That does mean no DocBar for Excel, but that's got to better than a hang :-|

Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Gavin, thanks. I included the screen shots from my Excel and PowerPoint Add-In's.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Hmmm... The Project Colletta add-ins are the ones starting with "RD_" (the RD stands for Research Desktop, fwiw). The PowerPoint one shouldn't be there (my installer's Office 2007/2010 detection must be broken) and you should definitely disable that one or even uninstall it. If the hang still happens, try disabling the Excel one too - and do let me know how you get on.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:04 AM
  •  

Hi Gavin,

Disabling the add-in in PowerPoint works. No more hangs/crashes! Thanks....

Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Is there still an unwanted Excel process hanging around when you exit PowerPoint now?

Any Office 2007 Project Colletta users will probably still have the hang problem, since the PowerPoint add-in is necessary in that case, and my guess is that the trigger is some interaction between the multiple add=ins, resulting in a deadlock.

Monday, February 6, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Gavin,

I apologize for the long delay. Was out of touch with reality for a while. :-)

To answer your quesiton, there's no Excel process hanging around.

Side thingy, I'm not sure if it is related to Colletta or not, but I noticed my indexing cache has been wonky. Seems like the indexing cache is always being rebuilt or missing.....

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I can't see how Project Colletta could have much impact on the index - certainly, not seen any sign of that here though, as your experience above suggests, that doesn't mean as much as I'd like it to...

I do vaguely recall a case where my desktop index did seem to be continuously in the process of building (way before Project Colletta), and I think the problem "went away" when I rebuilt the index from scratch.

It might be interesting to try that with Project Colletta not running, see if the index is stable, and than start using the tool again to see if the problem comes back or not - that ought to give us some evidence whether Project Colletta is guilty or not.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:52 AM
  • OK....I'll try a couple of experiments in the next few days...with and without Colletta, and see what happens. I just wish there's more debug or event lots related to indexing.....I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Gavin,

So I've done some experiments. Colletta is not messing up my indexing. I found out that my searches is working, just much slower than before. Before, when I type in part of a file name in "search box" Win7 returns me the results quickly. It returns items it found in my Outlook and Excel/Word/... documents it found that matches my search criteria. But now, it returns me the items in Outlook quickly, but for Excel/Word/..., it takes a lot longer.....I tried to rebuild the index but still slow.

I'll have to do some searches on the Internet to see what's going on.

Thanks.

:-(

Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:54 PM