Errors in Event Log? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there.  We're testing OCS among our network IT team here, and our manager pointed something out.  Although he logs in fine to the Communicator, his event log is generating the following error:

Event Type:      Information

Event Source:   Communicator

Event Category:            None

Event ID:          1016

Date:                6/18/2007

Time:                3:48:28 PM

User:                N/A

Computer:         {Computer name}

Description:

Communicator was unable to authenticate to the server 80090303 due to following error: 0x%3.

Resolution:

Please check that the password is correct and that the user name and SIP URI are specified correctly.  If the login continues to fail, the network administrator should verify that the user account is not disabled, that it is enabled for login to the service and that the password for the account hasn't expired or been reset.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Our setup is that we have the OCS in a test sub-domain, and I have our team authenticating to test accounts in this domain through the Communicator.  The test account is not locked out in the test domain.  Any thoughts?  I did a few searches but found nothing on the error.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:58 PM

Answers

•  

Ok, I will be waiting for his response too  By the way as far as I understand you ran kerbtray tool on DC but you should run it on client machine and after purging all tickets you can try to sign in again to check the event.

Regards.

Okan Gurer.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Julio ,

I have below a few questions regarding your Office Communicator problem, according your answers I think it will be easy to find the root cause and to help you ;

- Is Event log generating above event sometimes or always while you are logging on ?

- Which version of Office Communicator are you using ? (Help\About)

- Are you using TLS or TCP connectivity for your test domain ?

- Are you using manual configuration or automatic configuration in Office Communicator ?

- Have you configured test user for remote call control ? Maybe something has been wrong entered to the users SIP URI properties.

- Is this problem specific to the test user ? Did you test sign-in for any other user who has the same settings in Communications tab (AD Users and Computers) ?

Thanks

Regards.

Okan.

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

- Is Event log generating above event sometimes or always while you are logging on ?

I'll double-check but it looks like it is always generating this.

- Which version of Office Communicator are you using ? (Help\About)

2007 Public Beta, Version 2.0.6090.0

- Are you using TLS or TCP connectivity for your test domain ?

TLS

- Are you using manual configuration or automatic configuration in Office Communicator ?

Manual.

- Have you configured test user for remote call control ? Maybe something has been wrong entered to the users SIP URI properties.

No, he is not set up for Remote Call Control.

- Is this problem specific to the test user ? Did you test sign-in for any other user who has the same settings in Communications tab (AD Users and Computers) ?

Everyone is set up the same way, but he is the only one with this issue.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Ok. It seems that the problem is most certainly related with this test user, if no one else does not see the same error. We should find the differences between this test user and the other non-problematic users, you can use below steps to export the user attributes from Active Directory and after that you can compare two users (problematic and non-problematic) ;

Use ldifde tool (under \Windows\System32) to export attributes on the DC ;

ldifde -d  "CN=Test User,OU=Test,DC=domain,DC=com" -f  c:\TestUser.txt

You can post the ldifde results to let me check the differences.

Maybe resetting the password of this problematic user or purging the kerberos tickets (with kerbtray or klist tools) can help you. Did you try these ?

Also maybe security events on OCS machine and DC can help us or forward us to any other topic. If this error is not a fake, DC & OCS machines also should log a failure logon for this user. Did you check security logs ?

At the end I will suggest you try to logon to Windows with a user other than this problematic test user and try to sign-in with this problematic test user. Do you see the same event ?

I will be waiting for your test & ldifde results.

Regards.

Okan.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Thank you again for your response.

I ran the ldifde tool and compared our accounts.  There were no abnormal differences.

I ran the kerbtray utility in the test DC, and his account isn't listed.

I just reset his OCS domain password to see if this makes any difference.  I'll post his response.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:35 PM
  •  

Ok, I will be waiting for his response too  By the way as far as I understand you ran kerbtray tool on DC but you should run it on client machine and after purging all tickets you can try to sign in again to check the event.

Regards.

Okan Gurer.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:49 AM
  • Just a head's up:  changing his password did not fix the issue.

He will be out of the office for 2 weeks, so I will try the kerbtray on his machine when he gets back.  Thanks again for your responses. Smile
    Monday, July 2, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Hi Julio,

Can you let us know the status of your issue?

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:16 PM