none
Feature Requests - HDR & Super-Resolution Image Compositing

Question

• So, I'm fairly new to ICE... Please pardon me if either has been suggested before.

But, it seems to me that both an option for HDR stacking and for Super-Resolution / Noise Reduction stacking would make excellent additions to this software.

I mean, you guys already deal with large volumes of images for compositing panoramas, including, one assumes, high-level pixel alignment, etc. So, it only makes sense that you guys would also look at other applications for dealing with large volumes of images in other ways.

1) Several images of the same scene with different exposures. Combining them to improve the dynamic range of the scene, recover shadows & highlights, etc.

2) Use slightly different perspectives of the same scene to create super-resolution images, reduce noise, etc.

It seems like both feature sets would make sense synergistically with what the software already does.

Or, if not, perhaps these could be features/functions of some other (new?) piece of software that handles those kinds of "stacking" functions? But, it seems like "why reinvent the wheel"? I mean, if you're already got and Image Composite Editor, why not enable a couple of different "types" of compositing? (HDR compositing & super-resolution / noise reduction compositing.)

Would love to see either or both of these make their way in as future feature sets of this software. I think it would then be just that much more robust. Even more so if they worked synergistically with the existing panorama tool, to, say, stack a whole bunch of overlapping images of the same areas of the scene, and used the extra information to either produce super-resolution panorama or to reduce noise or improve image quality at the same resolution. Or, likewise, if shots of the same scene at different exposure settings could be used to create HDR panoramas by recovering shadows, highlights, etc.

• Edited by MGmirkin Monday, January 22, 2018 3:13 PM typo
    Monday, January 22, 2018 3:12 PM

All replies

• I agree with you. The problem is that we don’t know if Microsoft is still developing this software. :(
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Hmm, I suppose it would be problematic if they weren't/aren't...

But, if they are, surely these would make sense as additional functions, if they didn't want to rest on their laurels, so to speak. :) Tackle a few new challenges / features. :)

Monday, February 05, 2018 6:32 PM