Security Center Delay In Recognizing Software RRS feed

• Question

• I recently closed my Windows Live OneCare subscription and was very satisfied with the compatibility of the product with my computer.  It was definitely faster in processing than many other security programs which tend to slow down the computer.  The one thing I wanted to mention though is that I think there may have been some sort of intrusion into my computer while running Live One Care which causes some sort of delay every time the computer starts up before it actually recognizes that any security software is present.  I think that may have been some sort of unwanted virus/trojan/something that got through the Windows Live OneCare defenses.  I just thought I should bring that up in case others are having that same problem as maybe Microsoft will find a solution to this problem.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:21 PM

Answers

• That's actually an issue with resources. The Windows Security Center was waiting for OneCare to report its status. Although OneCare services were already started, they didn't report as the service that provides the icon in the system tray and communication to the Windows Security Center was delayed in starting, hence the warning from Security Center briefly. Reducing the number of startup programs usually resolves the delay, but even that doesn't help if the PC is low on resources - that is a slower processor and/or low memory.
    If you are seeing this situation with you new security software, the same theory applies. The new software is late in reporting.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:38 PM