Always shows "configure remote desktop" RRS feed

• Question

• On a Vista machine there are two users using Mesh. One (myself) has admin rights, the other (my son) is a restricted user. UAC is turned on (and always has been). In my account I configured remote desktop, including the recent update. In my son's account Mesh displays the note "configure live desktop". I clicked on it, entered my admin credentials in the UAC dialog and Mesh showed a message that the configuration has succeeded. However the note "configure live desktop" is still shown. How can I fix this?
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft Windows Installer MVP, www.InstallSite.org
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Stefan,

Live Mesh currently does not support "over-the-shoulder" (OTS) authorization (e.g., when you entered admin credentials in the UAC prompt on your son's account), and Live Mesh Remote Desktop needs to be run from an admin account.  Some customers have requested that we change Live Mesh to support non-admin accounts in the future; please feel free to add your vote for such a change to our Suggestions sticky.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

Live Mesh currently does not support "over-the-shoulder" (OTS) authorization (e.g., when you entered admin credentials in the UAC prompt on your son's account), and Live Mesh Remote Desktop needs to be run from an admin account.  Some customers have requested that we change Live Mesh to support non-admin accounts in the future; please feel free to add your vote for such a change to our Suggestions sticky.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Hi Ben,

thanks for the clarification.

If it's enough that I configure remote desktop in my account (with admin rights) then I don't think it's necessary to allow installation by non-admins. Actually I'd prefer to be in control. So no vote from me :)

However in this case the notification should not be visible in the restricted user's account, ecpecially if live desktop already has been configured by the admin.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

I think I may need to clarify (although, perhaps not - I'll let you judge): While Live Mesh Remote Desktop has been installed under your account, it will not function under any standard user accounts (this isn't entirely true, but the cases in which it will work from a non-admin account are very limited).  Of course, if all you want to be able to do is connect to this computer, or out from the admin account, then it should be fine (though you will still see the notifications in the restricted account, because Live Mesh does not currently support non-admin installs - so perhaps your suggestion would be to allow limited installs for non-admin accounts?).  I hope that makes sense.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Yes, one option would be to get limited installs working for non-admin working. But I'm not sure I would want this. And it may be tricky, doesn't this install a video driver?

Better: Get over-the-shoulder elevation working. That's what I would prefer over limited installs, and probably would be easier to achieve. (I wonder what part isn't working for OTS elevation?)

Or: don't show restricted users the option, i.e. hide the "configure remote desktop" item if the user is non-admin. As it is right now, you're showing an option that can't work. That's okay for a beta, but should be fixed in either way for RTM, because it's confusing.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:17 PM