IE7? RRS feed

• Question

• I did search the forum for ie7 before posting this question -- can I upgrade the browser on the home server to IE7?  IE6 is so 2006
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:07 PM

Answers

• The simple answer is that we don't know either :). This is one of the reasons why we solicit feedback from advanced users who are daring enough to install their pet server applications on WHS and report any potential issues, so that we can better understand and potentially solve them.

The only guidance I can provide is to understand the working of the server (from atleast a higher level) (like where/how it keeps your backups and shared folders) and to not disturb them (For example you should not be trying to change the location of the shared folders on the server from D:\shares to C:\shares). Also server manages the disks added to the storage pool (from the UI or during setup) itself, so do not try managing the disks from Disk Management MMC snap-in. Same goes for user management.

Also installing multiple applications on the server would reduce the available free space on the primary disk and this would limit the amount of data that could be copied over to the server at one time. (For example, if your primary disk has only 50 GB free space, the total size of files that could be copied in one shot would b 50GB. you may very well copy a big 100GB copy into two shots though :))

Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:32 PM

All replies

• i installed it without problem on mine
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:18 PM
  • Did you install it directly from the Server?  I am confused as to what you may and may not do using the Server interface directly.  There are so many warnings that changing configuration/etc. directly from the Server interface will cause problems that I am hesitant to change anything.  I did updated drivers for my motherboard that way without any apparent problems.  I think some more details on what you can and cannot do directly via the server interface would be extremely helpful.

Aaron

Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:46 PM
  • yup i installed it from directly on server, u just connect to microsoft and search for ie7 download, then it installs
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:51 PM
  • IE7 works fine here too.

I think you can work on the os partition but shouldn't use volumemanagement, explorer on the data partition, lusrmgr and such tools, but that's not official ;

Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:18 PM
  • For majority home users, they should not be using the machine as regular PC and that is why the OEM version going to be headless. Advanced users can RDP into the server and use the machine (and potentially install applications that they want to run there) as long as they know the changes these applications would make on the system and what all would potentially conflict with the working of WHS. Again, being built on top of Windows Server 2003, all applications that run well there should work on WHS, but we haven't tested all/any combination of applications.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Dileep, that is helpful.  The only remaining question is how a user is going to know what could "potentially cause confict with the working of WHS."  Will some guidance be provided?  Otherwise I guess it is a matter of trial and error.

Aaron

Sunday, February 18, 2007 9:56 PM
  • The simple answer is that we don't know either :). This is one of the reasons why we solicit feedback from advanced users who are daring enough to install their pet server applications on WHS and report any potential issues, so that we can better understand and potentially solve them.

The only guidance I can provide is to understand the working of the server (from atleast a higher level) (like where/how it keeps your backups and shared folders) and to not disturb them (For example you should not be trying to change the location of the shared folders on the server from D:\shares to C:\shares). Also server manages the disks added to the storage pool (from the UI or during setup) itself, so do not try managing the disks from Disk Management MMC snap-in. Same goes for user management.

Also installing multiple applications on the server would reduce the available free space on the primary disk and this would limit the amount of data that could be copied over to the server at one time. (For example, if your primary disk has only 50 GB free space, the total size of files that could be copied in one shot would b 50GB. you may very well copy a big 100GB copy into two shots though :))

Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:32 PM
  • Many thanks for your straight forward reply.  I think I understand and I and hopefully others will be happy to provide feedback that will help you determine what can and cannot be done on WHS and how it does/does not affect the performace of WHS.

Aaron

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:45 PM