How do you restore a folder? RRS feed

• Question

• One Care on XP Pro. All subfolders on D:\Downloads\ disappared. Can not select "restore D:\Downloads\" only wild card *.* using Custom Restore. Continued with Restore files from current backup on this computer.  In the search for files to restore I found all files belonging to D:\Downloads\ plus all the rest. To restore the desired files, I would have had to select hundreds of files (30GB) which is not doable. I have not found a way to select files belonging to folders and/or their sub-folders. Is there a way to do this? Fortunately, I burned 4 DVDs of this data. Thanks for any help? Harry
    H Kost
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:52 PM

Answers

• You can restore files by type or selected files, but you can't specify the folder and its contents for restore.
    Unfortunately, that is indeed a limitation of the OneCare backup/restore.
    What you can do is restore all missing files. It may restore some data you don't want, but it may be easier to remove that after the fact than to manually select hundreds of files to restore.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• You can restore files by type or selected files, but you can't specify the folder and its contents for restore.
    Unfortunately, that is indeed a limitation of the OneCare backup/restore.
    What you can do is restore all missing files. It may restore some data you don't want, but it may be easier to remove that after the fact than to manually select hundreds of files to restore.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Thank you Steve. I could not find an answer to this capability anywhere. I hope that will become a future feature. Harry
    H Kost
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Thank you Steve. I could not find an answer to this capability anywhere. I hope that will become a future feature. Harry
    H Kost

There won't be any future features, HarryK, unfortunately.

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

-steve

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:58 PM