OCS SE Deploy Server - Partial Success RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install OCS SE and I am encountering the following failure during the Deploy Server phase:

It fails on the following:

Activate Service - Create Domain Service Account

Windows 2000 Native Mode Domain: True
    Global Container DN: CN=System,DC=DATAVOXin,DC=net
    Global Container Domain DC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Domain DC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Forest GC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Group Domain: DATAVOXin.net

Failure [0x80072030] There is no such object on the server.

There are no other indications as to the cause of the failure.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, April 30, 2007 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Try the LcsCmd.exe tool on the CD (in the I386 directory for the edition you're using).

If you have the Public Beta documentation handy, look at the Office Communications Server 2007 Active Directory Guide (OCS_ADGuide.doc) on page 16, "To prepare the forest using the command line".

This will generate a log html file that you can check when it's finished. This is placed in your temp directory (just go to %TEMP%).

Good luck,

Morris Newman

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hello again,

I just reached the same point in my setup and had the very same problem. After pulling my hair out for 2 hours I dug out REPLMON and forced a full replication of domain controllers and GC's. After this the Add Server to Pool completed successfully.  Go figure.

I hope this fixes the problem for, at least, some of you.

Rgds,

Morris Newman

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:25 AM
  •  

All,

I had this similar problem...  After investigating, I found that although the Member server thought it was a domain member - it was not.

Look in AD and the computers container to see if your server is no longer listed.  If not, you may have an issue with the SID - this will be evident from event logs on the AD server.

Remove the member server from the domain (although it's not a member).

Run Newsid.exe on the member server - and restart

Rejoin domain

Try Again

Steve Walls

Friday, June 29, 2007 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have any errors in yoru event log? Can you tell us more about your environment?

Monday, May 7, 2007 10:12 PM
  • First make sure your service accounts are in the User Container.  Then check to make sure your service accounts are part of the Domain Users group.  Last make sure your Domain Users group have a space and not "DomainUsers"

The Pre-Windows 2000 name of the Domain Users group was "DomainUsers" instead of
    "Domain Users".
    Note the missing space

Louis

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:02 AM
  • I have confirmed all RTC accounts are in the User Container and that service accounts are part of the Domain Users group.  The domain users group does have a space "Domain Users".

The server is running Win2003 Standard Edition SP1.  This machine previously hosted LCS 2005.  This was deactivated and removed prior to starting the installation of OCS 2007.

After runnning the install again, the event log shows only 3 events in Office Communications Server.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OCS Setup
    Event Category: (1007)
    Event ID: 30502
    Date:  5/8/2007
    Time:  8:21:27 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: LCS2005
    Description:
    Failed to activate Office Communications Server Standard Edition Server on machine LCS2005.DATAVOXin.net.
    Error: 80072030
    Description: There is no such object on the server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 30503
    Description:
    Successfully deactivated Office Communications Server 2007, Telephony Conferencing Server on machine LCS2005.DATAVOXin.net.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 30503
    Description:
    Successfully deactivated Office Communications Server 2007, IM Conferencing Server on machine LCS2005.DATAVOXin.net.

The application log is clear and the system log only shows the following:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: BROWSER
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 8032
    Time:  8:21:43 AM
    Description:
    The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8DD9011E-B1BA-4FDA-970E-897259B8B940}. The backup browser is stopping.

Data:
    0000: 40 00 00 00               @...   

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: BROWSER
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 8021
    Time:  8:20:43 AM
    Description:
    The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\MAIL on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8DD9011E-B1BA-4FDA-970E-897259B8B940}.

Browser master: \\MAIL
     Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8DD9011E-B1BA-4FDA-970E-897259B8B940}

This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the network. The return code is in the Data text box.

Data:
    0000: 40 00 00 00               @...   

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 1:33 PM
  • John,

Have you ever found a resolution to this? I'm stuck in the install in the same place...

Thank you,

Chad
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Chad

I am still stuck too.  Please let me know if you find a resolution.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Is the RTCService Account getting created?

How many GC do you have in the domain?

Have you tried to force replication and then attempt to activate again?

Is it possible to take an Ethereal trace or Netmon trace while you are getting this error?

Louis

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:34 AM
  • I did finally get this up and running. I forced AD replication and then realized that I didn't have IIS installed on this server. Once I did that I could move to the next step and everything was fine. Silly oversight...

Chad

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Please see comments in line.  Also, IIS is installed on this server.

Louis H wrote:

Is the RTCService Account getting created? Yes, but it looks like the RTCComponentService account is not getting created.  I tried to manually add this account, but setup still fails.

How many GC do you have in the domain? 3

Have you tried to force replication and then attempt to activate again? Yes

Is it possible to take an Ethereal trace or Netmon trace while you are getting this error? Yes, it can be done if needed.  I have the trace file, how do I post it?

Louis

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Please try to activate the server using the command line.  Use the /GC to point directly to a GC in the Forest Root.

Use the following syntax example to activate a Standard Edition Server:

LCSCmd.exe /Server:<Server FQDN> /RoleTongue TiedE /Action:Activate /Password:My$tr0ngPwd [/RefDomain:<Domain FQDN>] [/PDCRequired:[TRUE|FALSE]] [/RootDC:<DC FQDN>] [/DC:<DC FQDN>] [/GC:<GC FQDN>] [/Global:<Configuration | System>] [/GroupDomain:<Group Domain FQDN>] [/GroupDomainDC:<Group Domain DC FQDN>]

such as:

LCSCmd.exe /Server /RoleTongue TiedE /Action:Activate /Password:My$tr0ngPwd

Where:

·         /Server – executes the action for the specified server machine. If no FQDN is specified, current machine is used. It defaults to "".

·         /Role – specifies the role of the server

·         /Action – Takes a string specifying the action name. Valid action names include CheckLCServerState, Activate, Deactivate

·         /Password – Specifies the service account password for the server

·         /RefDomain – specifies the reference domain FQDN. It defaults to "".

·         /PDCRequired – specifies whether PDCs are required for the action. It defaults to "TRUE".

·         /RootDC – specifies the FQDN of a global settings domain DC. It defaults to "".

·         /DC – specifies the FQDN of a domain DC. It defaults to "".

·         /GC – specifies the FQDN of a forest GC. It defaults to "".

·         /Global – specifies the global setting location. It defaults to "".

·         /User – Specifies the service account name for the server. It defaults to RTCComponentService. If the specified user account does not exist, Office Communications Server 2007 automatically creates the account.

·         /GroupDomain – specifies the FQDN of the domain where Office Communications Server universal groups are located in. It defaults to "".

·         /GroupDomainDC – specifies the FQDN of a DC in the domain where Office Communications Server universal groups are located in. It defaults to "".

·         /Force – Specifies whether to force task execution. It defaults to "FALSE"

·         /L – Specifies the log file path. If not specified, “<TEMP folder>\<ActionName>_<timestamp>.html” is used. To disable logging specify “-“ as the log file name. It defaults to ""

·         /XML – Specifies whether the log file to be generated should be in XML format instead of HTML. It defaults to "FALSE"

·         /? – Shows help on usage. It defaults to "FALSE"

A successful action will produce a result similar to the example depicted in Figure 1 (except for the different parameters) and the respective log file as depicted in Figure 2.

Louis

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Hi John,

Can you let us know the status of your issue? Were you able to perform Louis' suggestions? If you have found a solution, can you post your fix here?
    Thanks.

Friday, June 1, 2007 5:58 AM
  • I tried your suggestion and had no luck. here is part of the log, If you need more data let me know.

Create Active Directory Object CN={82C239F9-0FB0-48D4-A41D-CF1A075CD13D}   Relative Distinguished Name: CN={82C239F9-0FB0-48D4-A41D-CF1A075CD13D}
    Filter: CN={82C239F9-0FB0-48D4-A41D-CF1A075CD13D}
    Search base: LDAP://mail.DATAVOXin.net/CN=Global Settings,CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System,DC=DATAVOXin,DC=net
    Domain Controller: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Verify Attribute Values: True
    Object LDAP: LDAP://mail.DATAVOXin.net/CN={82C239F9-0FB0-48D4-A41D-CF1A075CD13D},CN=Global Settings,CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System,DC=DATAVOXin,DC=net
    Domain Controller: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Action Info: Attribute "objectClass" State 0x9 (ATTR_EXIST | ATTR_ADDED) (hr = 0x0)
    Action Info: Attribute "msRTCSIP-TrustedServerFQDN" State 0x9 (ATTR_EXIST | ATTR_ADDED) (hr = 0x0)
    Action Info: Attribute "msRTCSIP-TrustedServerVersion" State 0x9 (ATTR_EXIST | ATTR_ADDED) (hr = 0x0)
    Action Info: Object whenCreated "UTC 6/18/2007 6:38:43 PM"
    Action Info: Object whenChanged "UTC 6/18/2007 6:38:43 PM"
    Action Info: Object State 0x7 (OBJ_EXIST | OBJ_READY | OBJ_CREATED)
       Success

Activate Service       Failure
    [0x80072030] There is no such object on the server. 

Create Domain Service Account   Windows 2000 Native Mode Domain: True
    Global Container DN: CN=System,DC=DATAVOXin,DC=net
    Global Container Domain DC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Domain DC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Forest GC: mail.DATAVOXin.net
    Group Domain: DATAVOXin.net
       Failure
    [0x80072030] There is no such object on the server. 

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Have you moved any RTC groups from thier original OU? The activation is not finding the objects it needs.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:50 AM
  • No.  All of the RTC Groups are in the Users container.  Nothing has been moved manually. 

Is there a way to force the Prep Forest to run again?  The setup won't let as it shows that it has been completed?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Hi John,

Try the LcsCmd.exe tool on the CD (in the I386 directory for the edition you're using).

If you have the Public Beta documentation handy, look at the Office Communications Server 2007 Active Directory Guide (OCS_ADGuide.doc) on page 16, "To prepare the forest using the command line".

This will generate a log html file that you can check when it's finished. This is placed in your temp directory (just go to %TEMP%).

Good luck,

Morris Newman

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hello again,

I just reached the same point in my setup and had the very same problem. After pulling my hair out for 2 hours I dug out REPLMON and forced a full replication of domain controllers and GC's. After this the Add Server to Pool completed successfully.  Go figure.

I hope this fixes the problem for, at least, some of you.

Rgds,

Morris Newman

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:25 AM
  • We already forced Replication...isn't using REPLMON basically the same?

Also if I look at forest prep log under Create Global setting Active Directory Objects - I  see Verify Attribute Values:False.  Is that what I should get?

And when I look at my RTCService account properties (Security) in AD I see an Account Unknown does anyone have the group or user names that should show up here. 

David

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Does anyone have any more ideas on this issue??

Also I am rebuilding server today and will post my findings.

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:25 PM
  • I rebuilt the server and went through setup.  It failed at exact same place.  Looks to be an AD issue.  Anyone have info on how to clean up the AD so that I can prep it again?h

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:32 PM
  •  

All,

I had this similar problem...  After investigating, I found that although the Member server thought it was a domain member - it was not.

Look in AD and the computers container to see if your server is no longer listed.  If not, you may have an issue with the SID - this will be evident from event logs on the AD server.

Remove the member server from the domain (although it's not a member).

Run Newsid.exe on the member server - and restart

Rejoin domain

Try Again

Steve Walls

Friday, June 29, 2007 2:27 PM
  • Hi All,

I had the same message.

I have a rule (somewhere) to create new accounts in a container other than "Users", lets say "MyUsers".

After the first run of Deploy "RTCService" was created in "MyUsers".

I moved this RTCService to "Users".

The second run, I got asked to type the password for RTCService, and to create the RTCComponentService account (2 times the password).

Now I have the RTCComponentService Account in MyUsers, Moved it to "Users" and Ran Deploy again.

ooohhh, Deployment successfully!!!

Have a nice day

Willem

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:24 AM
  • I had a very similar problem installing OCS SE. In the end it was due a policy mismatch for the LAN Manager authentication level.  The DCs were set to "NTLMv2 only\Revuse Lm & NTLM" There wasn't a policy set for the OU my server was in and the local policy had been set to NTLM. Once I set it to NTLMv2 everything went fine.

Hope this helps. I spent 4 days figuring it out
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I have the same Issue and I had tried every thing but it still the same issue.
    can any one help me.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I have this issue during the setup of OCS 2007 that the RTCComponentService Account not created through the setup only the RTCService.
    when I tried manualy still the same issue Failure [0x80072030] There is no such object on the server.

please any help
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:01 PM