Windows Live One Care Center Appears crossed by 2 red lines and won't allow any changes to firewall settings or whatsoever. RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to reinstall the program and still will show the same, I installed WLOCC in a Toshiba Satellite but had to reinstall twice in the same machine due to severe crashes. So this is the third time I reinstall it and now the red lines appeared and won't let me make any changes.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• I had to remove your pasted image as it does not display in the forum interface.

I have *never* seen what your image displayed or what you describe, but it is certainly possible that your crashes and the current situation is caused by malware. I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Thank you, I ladready did it.

Regards,
    Marco
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:24 PM
  • I will be very interested to learn if support can identify the cause of what you encountered, Marco. Please post back the results of your support experience.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Will do Steve and thank you for trying to help.

Regards,
    Marco
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Here is Steve, you have the cause of the problem was WB. Wish the Windows Tech Support Team were like WLOC. Eric really helped ASAP. Hope this info helps somebody else and thankx again for redirecting me to Tech Support right away.

Regards,
    Marco

PS A link to the screen print of the problem is located @  http://home.comcast.net/~mtrujilusa/WLOCC.JPG

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Dear Eric,
                    Thank you so much for your expedite response, I tried to uninstall any 3rd party screen savers but could not find any so I did the second step of the process just to find that the problem was gone. I was intrigued by what might be causing it so I started running different programs that this new account didn't auto load at start up just to find that the program causing the glitch is Window Blinds. It is interesting tho because I installed it months ago and have been using LOC without any hassle, since the problem just appeared and if I can recall right Windows XP downloaded new patches for the OS or live one care, I am not sure but it was some kind of Microsoft download. Maybe LOC got some updates and that prevent Windows Blinds to alter the way that the "change settings windows" will display and once it failed gave the two red lines crossing over a white background and hiding all the allow/deny programs options. You are right the status of LOC was always green and not reporting any problem so now that I have found the source of the problem been caused by a 3rd party program so I can only thank you again for your time and professionalism handling this matter.

Sincerely,
    Marco A. Trujillo

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Marco, since OneCare is showing a green status, please be assured that the computer is being full protected. Our issue can be caused by the third party background screensaver program.

Let us first remove the third party background screensaver program from the computer to check the issue.

1. Click the Start button and double click on Control Panel.
    2. Double click "Add or Remove Programs".
    3. Look in the list for any
    third party background screensaver program, and remove it from the computer.

4. Please restart the computer after removing them.

How about the result? If the issue persists, please go to the following steps:

Create a new user account

=======

1. Click Start, click Run, type "nusrmgr.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click "Create a new account" in the Pick a task list box.

3. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click "Next".

4. Select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".

5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

Please check the issue in this new user account.

If the issue still persists, please collect the latest screenshot for further troubleshooting.

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Please try the troubleshooting steps above and inform me of the results at your earliest convenience. If anything in my email is unclear, or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

We welcome any feedback you may have regarding Windows Live OneCare Support. I will be glad to forward these comments to the management team for future consideration.

Thank you for choosing Windows Live OneCare. I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Eric

----------------------------------------

Very Satisfied customers are our top priority

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:34 PM