none
Where is my data? RRS feed

• Question

• After letting the WHS run for a couple of days,  I decided to look at the most recent automatic backup.
    Says it only took a few minutes,  though when I view the backup I get an 'Explorer' showing me everythin
    AND
    a Local Disk (Z:) with over 50 gigs of data in it.  Not sure what it is.
    This daily backup I'm looking at should have almost no data as I've done nothing but web surfing for the last couple of days ( no new data to speak of)

I was expecting to see just the data in the daily backup???

What am I doing wrong?

P:)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• As far as the end user is concerned, every backup is a full backup. The backup engine takes care of reconstructing a backup so you can mount it for single file copying (what you were doing) or so that you can restore the entire drive in the event of a drive failure or OS corruption.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by stocksp Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:38 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:22 AM
  • You'll find several white papers and other helpful information on the Windows Home Server microsite .
    • Marked as answer by stocksp Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:40 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• As far as the end user is concerned, every backup is a full backup. The backup engine takes care of reconstructing a backup so you can mount it for single file copying (what you were doing) or so that you can restore the entire drive in the event of a drive failure or OS corruption.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:22 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Ken,  thank you so much for the explanation.
    Is there a document (white paper) anywhere that I might read to understand this?
    I've got a boat load of questions that are not addressed in the user manual...

P:)
    • Unmarked as answer by stocksp Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:39 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:37 AM
  • You'll find several white papers and other helpful information on the Windows Home Server microsite .
    • Marked as answer by stocksp Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:40 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:39 AM