Serious Problems with Vista and WHS Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I really like the vision behind WHS, but am hugely frustrated with one thing in particular: permissions. I have several Vista machines and am running the final version of WHS (the commercial release). I've set up mapped network drives on many of my computers, mapping the photo share to the P: network drive, the video share to the V: network drive, etc. For the most part it works out great, other than the irritating "Could not connect to your network drives" error that happens after every single reboot and the network drives look broken until I double click on all of them to tell Vista that, yes, it really can use these resources so don't show me the big broken red "X". It's also bizarre how it reports the amount of storage left on the share when it's nowhere near accurate in the overall scheme of the WHS.

But on to the real problem...

On my WHS, I have a "Jason Dunn" account set up, and it's set up with a strong password so I can access things remotely (what an AWESOME feature that is!). Locally, on each of my computers, I have a "Jason Dunn" account that uses a non-strong password (I value speed over local security). I've told WHS that I don't want to be warned about the password issue every boot.

On my main workstation, which has the same username and pasword as all my other computers, whenever I want to access the network drive, or the WHS via Network browsing, I'm always prompted for my password. I enter in the strong password on the WHS and I can access things just fine (though it never seems to remember it permanently). Yesterday I forgot to use the strong password, and instead used the local non-strong password. And now I'm somehow completely locked out from accessing anything on the WHS! I see this error whenever I try to browse the WHS via the network or access the network drives:

\\DOJO-SERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged in to.

When I log into the WHS and check my "Jason Dunn" user account, under Account Status it says "The account is enabled and ready to access network resources." So everything seems OK there.

I've rebooted, and that hasn't helped. So the question is, what do I do now? Why is WHS locking me out? And are all these frustrations coming from the fact that I'm using two different sets of passwords?

Thanks for any input...

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:29 PM

All replies

•  Jason Dunn wrote:
    I really like the vision behind WHS, but am hugely frustrated with one thing in particular: permissions. I have several Vista machines and am running the final version of WHS (the commercial release). I've set up mapped network drives on many of my computers, mapping the photo share to the P: network drive, the video share to the V: network drive, etc. For the most part it works out great, other than the irritating "Could not connect to your network drives" error that happens after every single reboot and the network drives look broken until I double click on all of them to tell Vista that, yes, it really can use these resources so don't show me the big broken red "X". It's also bizarre how it reports the amount of storage left on the share when it's nowhere near accurate in the overall scheme of the WHS.

That's because it only sees the free space on the primary drive (not the mount points hidden behind it).

Jason Dunn wrote:
    But on to the real problem...

On my WHS, I have a "Jason Dunn" account set up, and it's set up with a strong password so I can access things remotely (what an AWESOME feature that is!). Locally, on each of my computers, I have a "Jason Dunn" account that uses a non-strong password (I value speed over local security). I've told WHS that I don't want to be warned about the password issue every boot.

On my main workstation, which has the same username and pasword as all my other computers, whenever I want to access the network drive, or the WHS via Network browsing, I'm always prompted for my password. I enter in the strong password on the WHS and I can access things just fine (though it never seems to remember it permanently).

It will ask you each time after you reboot your client PC because you need to identify who you are to the server.

Jason Dunn wrote:
    Yesterday I forgot to use the strong password, and instead used the local non-strong password. And now I'm somehow completely locked out from accessing anything on the WHS! I see this error whenever I try to browse the WHS via the network or access the network drives:

\\DOJO-SERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged in to.

When I log into the WHS and check my "Jason Dunn" user account, under Account Status it says "The account is enabled and ready to access network resources." So everything seems OK there.

I've rebooted, and that hasn't helped. So the question is, what do I do now? Why is WHS locking me out?

It sounds to me like your account was disabled from within WS2K3 (not WHS).  Login to the server as Administrator.  Click Start.  Then right click on My Computer and select Manage.  Click the + next to Local Users and Groups.  Select Users.  Right click on Jason Dunn and Select Properties.  If "Account is locked out" is checked (which I'm guessing it is), uncheck it.  You should be good to go at that point.

Jason Dunn wrote:
    And are all these frustrations coming from the fact that I'm using two different sets of passwords?

It can't be helping any Smile  (although to my understanding it's not supposed to lock you out like that).  What I did was created 2 users for myself on WHS.  The first has no password (which matches my local computers) and is used locally.  The second user has a strong password and is used for Remote Access.

Jason Dunn wrote:
    Thanks for any input...

EDIT:  I just looked at the security policy on WHS and the lockout threshold is set at 50 invalid attempts (with a 30 minute lockout duration), so I guess it is possible to lock yourself out for a short period of time...

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Ya..... Very frustrateing... I have the same problem only with my Vista systems every reboot. I can acess the WHS but not any of the shared folders. After 15 to 30 min it connects on its own and all maped drives can be acessed. I leave my system on 24-7 but have to reboot once in a while. This problem need to be address by microsoft asap or at lest before end up throwing my Vista computer out the window. Sorry I am not much help but at least I go to vent. IF you find anything help full please email me at. ChrisLuscavich@hotmail.com

Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Hi SAME EXACT frustrating problem here.  If enough of us post hopefully Microsoft will fix this.  I get the account is locked out error on my Vista machine.  XP machine is fine.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Check below for solution!

thanks

Steven Lugovsky

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Here is a solution to this issue that may posssibly work.  LMcompatibility may not be set properly for the authentication process.

Edit registry and check for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Change (DWORD) LMcompatibility to 1 and reboot.

Hope this helps!

Steve Lugovsky

• Proposed as answer by Ploddy Friday, February 6, 2009 6:40 AM
    Monday, April 21, 2008 7:21 PM
  • I had this issue as well.  Here is what I found and how i fixed it.

On my main Vista PC's admin account.  When I originally set up that PC, i chose a temp name as the admin account...so my user name was "B" and I had no password set up.

I did this as an easy way to install all my software, do windows updates..ect ect.  The last step I do when setting up a PC is build the user names.

I added my wife and 2 kids to their own log in, and CHANGED user "B" to "scott".

well "scott" could not access any shares on the WHS, but the other 3 could.  I did some back tracking and found the user acount "B" was still incontroll of "scott"

cBig Smileoc/settings/B/scott

i had to make my wifes account an admin account.  go in and delete user "scott"...rebott...then add user "scott" again as admin....then make wifes account normal.

finally my account showed up as

cBig Smileoc/settings/scott

and i was able to log into and access all the whs folders.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Slugovsky has done it. After literally months of frustration, this simple regedit has fixed the problem.

You are a hero to the world.

Big ups.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 6:41 AM
  • the regkey from slugovski, do i need to change it on the server or the client?

(i have the same problems, on w2k3 server with vista clients which arent connected to the domain)
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:31 AM