Unable to backup server RRS feed

• Question

• The USB drive I was using for server backup filled up so I right clicked on the back in the dashboard it to stop, then I told it to remove the drive.  I then added a new bigger USB drive and configured the backup.  This went fine and the system backed up the C drive but failed on the data drive.  Now everytime I try to start the backup again it fails all the time.

Any clue how to fix it? Or at least determine what the problem is to fix.

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:16 AM

Answers

• Ok, I did a chkdsk /r on all the drives and am using the new drive.  It did three drives before dieing but die it did.  I rebooted the system, started the backup again, and wow it worked very quickly too.  I can only assume the one that was reported as failed was not really so.  Oh well!
    John J. Hughes II
    Monday, December 19, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• Test the backup drive for errors.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:27 AM
  • What is the failure message? Have you checked the Server logs?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:05 AM
  • yes I did the check with auto repair from the dashboard, did not help
    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Yes I found the following error which is not very helpful, the details only have the error number and time.

Since then I have remove the backup, disabled server backup, and formated the drive from the remote login.  I then added the drive back and created a new server backup.  It says it is at 48% in a few minutes but I have noticed it is clueless about time, sort of like my wife ;)  Anyways I will drop you a note if it works, it normally takes at least a day for the full backup.

Error:

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎12‎-‎17T00:21:02.145115000Z' has failed with following error code '2147943792' (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Ok, it failed again with a new error, any suggestions?  event details just give the date general information and error message %%0 / error code 0.

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎12‎-‎17T15:34:05.125512800Z' has failed to back up volume(s) 'F:,D:'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I would suggest running chkdsk /r on every drive in your server, including the backup drive. You'll find a post in the FAQ section about this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I decided to go with the try a different USB drive approce so I picked up a GoFlex.  I started a new backup this morning and it has been running most of the day and gotten to 55% so it is looking good so far... Will drop a note if it works.
    John J. Hughes II
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Ok, I did a chkdsk /r on all the drives and am using the new drive.  It did three drives before dieing but die it did.  I rebooted the system, started the backup again, and wow it worked very quickly too.  I can only assume the one that was reported as failed was not really so.  Oh well!
    John J. Hughes II
    Monday, December 19, 2011 1:29 PM