Restore backup RRS feed

• Question

• I had to reinstall the operating system Windows XP professional &

I had to reinstall money version 14.0.100.730 using disk from microsoft works that came with another computer I no longer use. I have done tis once before & had no problems But...

now I am now not able to restore my money back up from external hard disk.

To back up I am asked to  "enter your Microsoft Password sign in and password to access your money file"

The sign in name displayed is not the current one but I use it with the same password I have always used. The message says "e-mail address or password incorrect"

So I try entering the same details but this time ticking the box that says "I do not need to use on line features"

The message I get then is "Money cannot locate ..(the file) or cannot open it possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write protected"

The back up file ends with" mny"

Can any please help I am not too computer literate so need step by step guidance. Similar problems have been reported but I have not been able to use their solutions.

Thanks

Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:54 AM

All replies

• Read the first, sticky post in this forum and download and install the appropriate file for your location.

Money 2005 can no longer be updated online to the required version 14.0.120.1105. Money 2005 14.0.100.730 (the version your disk installs) cannot read your data file.

Just copy your .mny data file and open it with the new, updated installation. The backup file is only for use if your .mny data file becomes corrupted.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Thank you so much, this has worked.

In the sticky post u referred to it says,

"It is suggested that all Money users keep a good copy of the installation file file, even if the need is not immediate. It will be needed if you reinstall UMoney in the future. Those links can change, so do a search if you don't find the file you need.

Since we don't know how long these files will be available, it is best to keep a copy of your appropriate installation file in a safe place."

Can you explain how I do this?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:19 AM
  • As a UK user, keep a reliable copy of "Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe" file for potential later use. Writing this file to a writable CD or DVD and storing the disk in a safe place is good.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I've also sent a copy to my Dropbox and SugarSync accounts along with a text document pointing out to the copyright police/techies that this application is free so they don't have to delete it.

Definitely burn to CD and store on USB.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:45 PM