none
Cannot get past naming the server when Installing WHS 2008 on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• When I am prompted during the install of my Windows Home Server on a new computer, no matter what I enter I get a message describing that the name is already used on the network.  The only way I have been able to get by this is to unplug my network connection during the install...at whcih point the install completes....the problem is then that the network card is never recognized by WHS and installing NIC drivers does nothing to resolve the issue.

Please Help!

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:44 PM

All replies

• By WHS2008, do you mean WHS2011 (based on Windows Server 2008 R2)? I don't understand: If the network card is not recognised how does disconnecting the network connection have any impact? Are you using non-standard characters or spaces in the name? Try rebooting your router.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Unplug just long enough to proceed past the error screen then plug back in. I have to do this every time with WHS v1 and a D-Link DIR-655.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

When I am prompted during the install of my Windows Home Server on a new computer, no matter what I enter I get a message describing that the name is already used on the network. The only way I have been able to get by this is to unplug my network connection during the install...at whcih point the install completes....the problem is then that the network card is never recognized by WHS and installing NIC drivers does nothing to resolve the issue.

Please Help!

BullDawg
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:54 PM