Windows home server- printing? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking at home servers for our home. already have a network set up. (workgroup) i was wondering about using a home server as a print server. i've seen a couple of posts that it is possible, but not a whole lot of detail, yet. am running 7 premium, vista premium sp2, andxp home sp3.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 8:05 PM

Answers

• I've been looking at home servers for our home. already have a network set up. (workgroup) i was wondering about using a home server as a print server. i've seen a couple of posts that it is possible, but not a whole lot of detail, yet. am running 7 premium, vista premium sp2, andxp home sp3.

While it may be possible to get it to work, setting up WHS as a print server is unsupported (since it requires logging into the server desktop).  You would probably be better off getting a network/multifunction printer.

If you really wanted it to do it anyway, you would need to set up the printer from the server desktop (and provide whichever additional drivers you need for your various OSes).

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:41 PM

All replies

While it may be possible to get it to work, setting up WHS as a print server is unsupported (since it requires logging into the server desktop).  You would probably be better off getting a network/multifunction printer.

If you really wanted it to do it anyway, you would need to set up the printer from the server desktop (and provide whichever additional drivers you need for your various OSes).

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Some printers also provide a silent install feature for Windows Home Server since it's based on Server 2003.  Just make sure there are Server 2003 drivers for your printer and you should be able to use the basic features of the printer.  As Kariya21 stated, it is un supported, but personally, it's something I like to see it do.  :-)
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:54 AM
    As Kariya21 stated, it is un supported, but personally, it's something I like to see it do.  :-)

True, that. :) It is something that should "just work", and it makes sense if your printer supports it.

Be aware that inexpensive consumer printers may not work correctly when shared from your server. This is a limitation of the print engine the manufacturers chose, not of Windows Home Server, or of your client operating systems. Thus the more common advice to buy an inexpensive network multifunction printer, since it's designed for network use and also offers centralized scanning and copying (usually), and faxing (sometimes).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I'm sharing an HP photosmart 7960 off my WHS; it works fine with the XP boxes -- the only anomaly was installing with the Win7 box since it only has a generic driver for that older model printer.

Turns out the trick was to install on Win7 using the 7800 series driver on a local port mapped to \\server\printer.

Don't ask -- but it works. 

I'm also using WHS as a central fax server... (yes, I know it's unsupported).

files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:00 PM
  • I have a Clone WHS with 2 HP printers attached via usb and they are shared out and have had not one bit of issues with the system. The only bit of advice I will give is dont expect too much out of the WHS Server while you try to print since the spooler use's a great deal of memory and cpu usage.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:30 PM
  • the only thing with scanners they can such a pain to try and get the driver working, fax yep got it and print yep that too on a canon... can't remeber the model.
    my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:42 PM