Gigabit Network Adaptor for WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm trying to find a network adaptor that has drivers for Windows 2003 Server so that I can use the adptor for WHS.  I bought a Netgear GA311 only to find it won't install.  What adaptors are other people using?
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi - I am using a Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet (PCI) in my Home Server.  The driver was installed with the Windows Home Server installation, no fussing at all.  I hope this helps.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  

I have litrally just finished installing a D-link DGE-528T gigabit network card which has the W2k3 drivers.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi - I am using a Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet (PCI) in my Home Server.  The driver was installed with the Windows Home Server installation, no fussing at all.  I hope this helps.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 3:50 PM
  • I'm using the onboard Marvell Yukon adapter on the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. Gogo old system with 8 SATA connectors Big Smile
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  

I have litrally just finished installing a D-link DGE-528T gigabit network card which has the W2k3 drivers.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Is it really necessary having a discrete ethernet card to get good server performance?

If so, are some of the server class cards from intel and the like worth the extra money?  I was under the impression that onboard Ethernet on newer mobo's had got to the point of being "good enough" and it would be best to invest instead into a better raid card (if you are doing raid)...since onboard raid isn't there yet.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:12 AM
  •  

I just build my WHS a couple of weeks ago and used GA311 card. I don't remember which drivers I've selected to install from included CD, but Driver File Details shows it as “C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\GA311ND5.SYS"

Driver Date is 10/9/2003

Driver Version 5.608.1009.2003

So far, I have not seen any problems.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:26 AM
  • GadgetGeezer,

No it isn't necessary for WHS to have a discrete NIC. If you were running,say, a large database or a file server, then there could be a case for having a NIC with on-board processing.

On WHS, the general performance is good enough for the purposes for which it was designed. Quite a few people on here are running multiple HD streams with no problems.

Regarding 'server class' motherboards, that's a choice for you to make. Do you want to be guaranteed compatability, or would you be happy with a 'consumer grade' motherboard, quite a few of them are available with Server 2003 drivers which are required for WHS.

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:24 PM
  • The driver for GA311 for WHS can be found under the   GA311 W2k folder - GA311ND5.SYS.   Just tried it and it works - Whew- Hoo!
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Definitely don't buy the Linksys/Sitecom LN-027V2.  It has W2k3 drivers on the CD but when installed the drivers are not signed by Microsoft and the device will not start.  Also tried the other drivers on the CD and from the website but still had the same problem
    • Proposed as answer by rickmcm Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Old Thread I know but thought I would add my comment. I just upgraded my network to a gigabyte which required a NIC upgrade to my WHS. The card I bought was a PICe Rosewill RC-401-EX 10. I couldn't tell you what driver WHS found on the driver CD but it works flawless. My transfer speeds went from 10MB/s to averaging around 50MB/s or better using a TRENDnet TEW-633GR IEEE 802.3 router with the client OS Win7 x64 using mobo NIC which I think is a Realtec. Just my two cents worth.

fasthair
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but recently came across it while facing a similar issue. It turns out that the card used Realtek’s Gigabit onboard chip and would work with Realtek’s WinXP 8169 driver series. Please see http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=8&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true to find the 8169 drivers. Select and install the WinXp and WinServer2003 build of the driver to make it work.
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 1:10 AM