Outlook Locks Up RRS feed

• Question

• We have MS Dynamics CRM 4.0. Unfortunately, after spending about $15k our people simply refuse to use the program because the darn thing locks up Outlook when Outlook is being started. On the tool bar Dynamics shows "Preparing Outlook synchronization...". There is a stop sign next to it to abort the option (I assume). However, even clicking on the stop sign keeps on locking Outlook. Any inputs on how to solve this?

Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I think I may have had the exact same issue when we were setting up CRM for our client. My user account did not originally have "full control". Once this was changed, Outlook worked fine. Check that out and see if the users have "full control".

Mike
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 4, 2009 2:45 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:10 AM

All replies

• Memory is a good start, especially if it is the offline client. I'd recommend at least 2G.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by hfaun Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:03 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:08 AM
  • All computers we use have 4GBytes. I hope Dynamics CRM does not require more then that to work efficiently.

What else could be the problem?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:03 AM
  • First of all, unless the computer is using a 64 bit OS, they will not be able to access the full 4G but regardless the 3 or so Gig they can access should be plenty.

The next port of call would be to review the optimization guide.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba826cee-eddf-4d6e-842d-27fd654ed893&DisplayLang=en

This has sections specifically on the client side and the Outlook client so hopefully that will improve things.

If you are running a 64 bit OS, make sure you're running the Outlook client in WOW mode also.

Good Luck.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

• Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:23 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Have you installed the desktop or offline Client?  Take a look at the event viewer on one of the client pc's to see what error mesage you are receiving.  There are several possible reasons for the Outlook Client to lock up so it is challenging to identify the exact reason without more information.

a few things you can try to find the root of the issue:

Install Update Rollup 2 as it has a fix for Outlook hangs, here is the link;
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=aa671769-61e9-45c4-919f-c88199aa4241&displaylang=en&tm

run the Diagnostic wizard on the client machine and fix any issues discovered
    Start, Programs, Microsoft CRM Dynamics 4, Diagnostic

Try the above first and if none of the suggestions work then we can troubleshoot further.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Hello,

I think I may have had the exact same issue when we were setting up CRM for our client. My user account did not originally have "full control". Once this was changed, Outlook worked fine. Check that out and see if the users have "full control".

Mike
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 4, 2009 2:45 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:10 AM
  • What exactly do you mean by giving the account "full control"? Is this something on the client, AD, CRM Database, or Exchange Server?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Allen,

To enable full control for user you will need to log into the web client. Navigate to the user you want to give full control (Settings->Administration->Users->Your User). At the bottom in the section Client Access License Information there is an Access Mode drop down where you can select "Full". That fixed our Outlook problem.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:48 PM