Learning Guide/Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry I have to ask this question at this time but it's getting confusing.

I am a professional/graduate accountant but have interest in programming. So far I have learnt Access, SQL Server, VB and ADO .NET (2.0) on my own and still learning. Of late I see so many different platforms/technologies/programmes/jargons/acronyms and what have you that I have no idea of what they are and whether I need to learn them to "belong". For instance LINQ, WPF, WCF, Silverlight, ADO .NET Entity Framework, ASP.NET to mention but a few.

I really want to make a career out of serious programming and my areas of interest are 2-tier and 3-tier (n-tier) Database applications for Businesses in the areas of Accounting, Banking, Finance, Payroll, Budgeting, ERP, etc

Taking into account that I already know basic T-SQL, SQL Server, VB .NET and  ADO .NET, my question is this: what is the RIGHT learning SEQUENCE to grasp all of the above mentioned programmes/technologies, etc? Where do I start from and which one next? In order words if I were to be in a University or High School learning programming what is likely to be the Sylabus starting from the begining/basics and progressing up-wards?

Only performance counts!
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:13 PM

Answers

• Oki doki

Lets see what we can do for you here

Your main goal is looking at n-tier design for business spcifically Accounting, Banking etc...

You could look at doing some BI development, which is particularly applicable to you with your graduate in accounting. Since you would both inderstand the numbers and the technology7 it would position you very well for this. You would also to get to do work on SQL Server

There are certs on SQL 2005/2008 for the BI developer. Its a good market too. Since you have a ground in SQL you would be able to make the transition to cubes and analysis services as well as SQL Reporting Services.  Since you state you would like to stay on the DB side of things I think it probably would be a good fit. You could also come across laterally to the Database developer if you were so inclined.

Right if you were looking for a syllabus, I would be saying take a look at the SQL Server BI Developer certifications and see if they suit your needs.

SQL 2005 one detailed here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/bid/default.mspx

MCP,MCAD,MCSD.NET,MCTS*7,MCPD*3,MCITP*2,MCDBA Blog: http://certsandprogs.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:57 AM

All replies

• Oki doki

Lets see what we can do for you here

Your main goal is looking at n-tier design for business spcifically Accounting, Banking etc...

You could look at doing some BI development, which is particularly applicable to you with your graduate in accounting. Since you would both inderstand the numbers and the technology7 it would position you very well for this. You would also to get to do work on SQL Server

There are certs on SQL 2005/2008 for the BI developer. Its a good market too. Since you have a ground in SQL you would be able to make the transition to cubes and analysis services as well as SQL Reporting Services.  Since you state you would like to stay on the DB side of things I think it probably would be a good fit. You could also come across laterally to the Database developer if you were so inclined.

Right if you were looking for a syllabus, I would be saying take a look at the SQL Server BI Developer certifications and see if they suit your needs.

SQL 2005 one detailed here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/bid/default.mspx

MCP,MCAD,MCSD.NET,MCTS*7,MCPD*3,MCITP*2,MCDBA Blog: http://certsandprogs.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Thanks Niall Merrigan.

Besides the BI, how about the front-end? Having learnt basic VB .NET, SQL Server/T-SQL and ADO .NET if I move further into BI how do I improve on my VB? I marvel at the skills displayed by some of you guys on this board. I know most of you are graduates of Computer Science and related fields plus years of experience but how do I, learning on my own advance?

Having learnt what I may I call introduction to programming using VB .NET, where do I continue from? I will like create professional-looking Accounting, banking, budgeting, payroll applications (Web enabled and non-Web enabled) what do you suggest that I learn next?

I am handicapped by lack of books. I reside in Nigeria, WEST AFRICA where you hardly find the relevant books but I can always import them and also rely on the internet if I am given the right directions.

Many thanks.
    Only performance counts!
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:17 PM