WHS Custom Domain / Live ID association RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to find out what Windows Live ID my old custom domain is registered under? I set my server up a long time ago and recently had to re-do the configuration, but the ID I expected the domain to be registered under doesn't contain it.   I registered a new one under my main ID, and the name in question is listed as unavailable, so I assume it is registered to another ID that I probably know the credentials for, just not the email address used to set it up. 

Thanks.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:18 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately if you can't get into your original account there is no way of recovering it - also if you have not used the account it for a while it may well have expired the domain name may well be lost with it forever!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, December 30, 2011 2:44 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:44 AM
  • For Windows Home Server V1, if you've forgotten the Live ID used to create the homeserver.com vanity URL there's no way to retrieve it. All you have locally is a token from the dynamic DNS provider.

For Windows Home Server 2011, the Live ID (email address) should be stored in the server's registry, though updating the vanity URL with the server's current external IP address is still done using a token.

Note, however, that if you create a Live ID specifically to get a vanity URL, and then never use it again, that Live ID will eventually (a year, I think) be deleted. At that point, you have the vanity URL until you have to re-register the server (after a server rebuild on new hardware, reinstallation, etc.), because the server authenticates via a token even if the ID no longer exists, but you won't be able to retrieve that vanity URL on your new server (the ID used to create it doesn't exist any more).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:23 PM