Proper Setup of Home PCs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I'm new to OneCare (using ver. 2), and I plan to use it on my three home PCs.  Right now its only installed on mine, and I have the firewall showing I'm in the Public zone.  My home PC is a desktop, wirelessly connected to my home router (using WPA2 and MAC filtering).  I do not have any printers or folders on my machine that I want to share with the other PCs, but I do want to be able to manage the other PCs once I install OneCare on those machines.

Should I have my machine in the Home zone?  Does it matter as I don't intend to share files or printers?
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:23 AM

Answers

• I would change the network to "home or work" unless you are indeed connecting to a public network.

You will still be able to manage your circle with either setting, though.

Being behind a router, there is no reason to lock down the sharing capabilities.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:01 PM

All replies

• I would change the network to "home or work" unless you are indeed connecting to a public network.

You will still be able to manage your circle with either setting, though.

Being behind a router, there is no reason to lock down the sharing capabilities.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I currently have the perpetual beta installed 2.0.0.2392.4 installed on my personal computer in a four computer home network. All of the computers can share files and see the other computers. The one that has OneCare installed on it can see and share all the files of the rest of the network but for them to share the files on the OC computer I have to turn the firewall off. It is to the point I am concidering removing the beta and opting for another flavor of securiety. I have looked and searched for a way to fix this. I have reviewed the setting for the firewall and everything seems alright. I have included a rule for netbios but that did not help. If I turn off the firewall and get access from another computer to the OC computer. Everything is fine even if I turn back on the firewall. I can still access the OC computer.

What is wrong?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 1:14 PM
  •  Kbtarl wrote:
    I currently have the perpetual beta installed 2.0.0.2392.4 installed on my personal computer in a four computer home network. All of the computers can share files and see the other computers. The one that has OneCare installed on it can see and share all the files of the rest of the network but for them to share the files on the OC computer I have to turn the firewall off. It is to the point I am concidering removing the beta and opting for another flavor of securiety. I have looked and searched for a way to fix this. I have reviewed the setting for the firewall and everything seems alright. I have included a rule for netbios but that did not help. If I turn off the firewall and get access from another computer to the OC computer. Everything is fine even if I turn back on the firewall. I can still access the OC computer.

What is wrong?

You should read this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=372863&SiteID=2

Then sign in at http://connect.microsoft.com with your perpetual LiveID to continue to discussion in the private newsgroup.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:55 PM