Sync "My Documents" but exclude "My Music"? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to sync a PC's My Documents folder hierarchy, except for the My Music subfolder. It's as large as the rest of my documents folder, and I already have access to my music via my iPod.

Option 1: is there a way to have Live Mesh exclude a subfolder?

Option 2: if not, My Documents contains too many folders for me to sync each one individually; in that case, I thought about setting up a special Sync folder and, inside it, create a bunch of Directory Junctions (hard links) pointing to each subfolder except My Music. I would sync the Sync folder with Live Mesh. Would Live Mesh follow hard links?

I'm sure I'm not the only user who needs to exclude parts of a synced folder tree. Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:25 PM

Answers

• No, you cannot exclude a sub-folder.
    I would not suggest using junction points, though that may work. It would be more sensible to move the \My Music folder out of the \My Documents folder. Assuming that you are using XP, you can use TweakUI to change the location of Special Folders such as My Music. In Vista and Windows 7 you can move these folders within Windows Explorer and the OS keeps track of the fact that they have moved for the "special folders" properties.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:45 PM