FTP client RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,
               I'm considering buying a WHS to increase my on-site backup capacity.
    Since I usually also upload picturess and data to an online server (servage) I wonder if it possible to launch an FTP sessionto upload x files and then switch-off all the PC and let the WHS finish the job alone

Thanks

MAO
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:47 AM

Answers

• Out of the box there is nothing to support file uploads by FTP and I'm not aware of any add-ins that do that task - though there Add-Ins that support online backup systems. 
    --
    • Edited by Al West Friday, February 5, 2010 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by webmind Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:10 AM
  • For the OP:
    There's no support for using Windows Home Server an FTP client. Some OEMs include software to link their servers to specific online file (usually photo) storage sites, but there's nothing generic.
     there is nothing to stop you using a remote desktop session to upload files manually to an FTP server.
    Al, this is an unsupported activity. Please do not advise the regular use of Windows Home Server as a desktop operating system.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 5, 2010 3:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by webmind Friday, February 12, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:19 PM

All replies

• Out of the box there is nothing to support file uploads by FTP and I'm not aware of any add-ins that do that task - though there Add-Ins that support online backup systems. 
    --
    • Edited by Al West Friday, February 5, 2010 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by webmind Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. If I understand correctly, I basically access the WHS from remote desktop, then launch the upload and then I can disconnet the PC and WHS perform the upload on its own. Right? 
    Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I never user remote desktop
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:29 AM
  • For the OP:
    There's no support for using Windows Home Server an FTP client. Some OEMs include software to link their servers to specific online file (usually photo) storage sites, but there's nothing generic.
     there is nothing to stop you using a remote desktop session to upload files manually to an FTP server.
    Al, this is an unsupported activity. Please do not advise the regular use of Windows Home Server as a desktop operating system.

• Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 5, 2010 3:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by webmind Friday, February 12, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:19 PM
  • For the OP:

So Ken, is there no easy way to start an FTP session to transfer file from WHS to a server online. The question is very much the related to the other 3D you answered before

MAO
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:05 PM