off topic - Microsoft XP RRS feed

• General discussion

• My computer was in perfect working order until I tried to install the cd software called 'QuickCam Chat'  by Logitech (WindowsLive Messenger).  I was unable to continue with the installation as a screen popped up calling for the 'Service Pack 2'.  I downloaded the Service Pack 2 from Microsoft.  (+- two hours to download.)  Thereafter, I found I was unable to open up any of my word documents (a blank grey screen would appear) and the page would not open at all.

I do have virus security/protection on my computer - AVG.

Please could you tell me what I should do to repair the problem as well as to repair these error messages? 

These are the Windows messages that are continuously appearing on my screen, and I am unable use any documents.

"THE FEATURE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IN ON A CD-ROM OR OTHER REMOVABLE DISK THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE.

"INSERT THE MICROSOFT 2002 DISK AND CLICK "OK"

"USE SOURCE : MICROSOFT WORKS SUITE 2004 OR DVD"

"WORDRET.MSI  File not found.  Please verify the correct file name was given"

"INSERT MICROSOFT WORD 2002 DISK AND CLICK "OK"

USE SOURCE: MICROSOFT WORKS SUITE 2004 DISK 1 OR DVD

WORDRET.MSI

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\SETUP.HLP amd64\update.exe is not a valid win32 application

I look forward to your kind advice and assistance in repairing my computer back to normal.

Thank you.

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:24 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Windows XP newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:24 AM
  • I don't know where all above came from. My computer crashed. A new drive was installed, and what disks I had were used to reboot it. Now the security said there is a missing Office XP Service Pack3 that needs to be downloaded. But every time I try it does not download because it want a Microsoft Word 2002 to be able to do it. Also a WORDRET.MSI keeps popping up, and that is not in my computer.  If I can download either it might solve the problems.

Thanks     J. R. M.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:50 PM