How do I recover data files after second New Installation on Server RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully set up my windows home server, created three users and copied data files over to the user folers as well as the share folders. I then (don't ask why..) did a new installation all over again. How can I recover the lost user and share files? I have used DiskInternals to view the drives and have found some lost files that appear to be the ones I want but the real file name is lost.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian,
    in case of a new installation you get the warning, that all drives in the system are getting formatted.
    Your best chance to eventually recover some data would be to power down the server immediatly, since it is really important to avoid any write attempts on the disks, from which you want to recover data.
    Attach one disk after the other (especially the DATA disks) to a client PC as secondary drive and try to use some 3rd party recovery utility.
    The FAQ How to recover data after server failure would show you, where to find the data on the single drives (if the data is still intact and has not been overwritten).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:30 AM