none
MCITP certification??? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to study towards gaining certification for MCITP but i dont realy know where to start. A friend of mine has said that i can use msdn to study most of the course materials and then purchasing the exam whe i feel ready(the cheaper option). I wonder if someone who has done this or could point me in the right direction could answer my question? 
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:19 AM

Answers

• For a novice a training kit is the best place to start. You can supplement it with Technet and MSDN articles and other resources on the Internet. The MCTS training kits cover the basics. If you know your stuff you are probably better of focusing on the topics you won't have experience with. You can use the study guides as a checklist for that.

You should start with the exams for the products you are most experienced with. Not only will make this passing the first exams easier, it also allows you to adjust the exam taking experience less troublesome. Preparing for an exam is an good way to learn about a new product or version. Actual experience, however, is even better.

You said you want to pass as many exams possible. Is this because you want to increase your changes get a job by widening your expertise? In that case you should stick to the MCTS/MCSA first and later, when have more experience and know more in where you want to specialize in, you can focus on the MCITP/MCSE exams. Also to pass the MCITP Enterprise Administrator exam you will have pass 4 MCTS exams first. So you will have to focus on MCTS exams first anyway. In that case it is smarter to do MCTS exams for the SQL Server too, before you go for the MCITP exams.

For instance you have shown interest in Windows Server and SQL Server Administration. You should first decide if want to target on Windows Server or SQL Server. Then decide which version to focus on. 2008 is for both products the most used version, but most exams will retire in about a year. So you will have to estimate if that's enough time for you. 2012 is the newest version for both products which will last longer, but hasn't got much demand at the moment.

Don't be surprised to spend a year on the entry exams on either Windows Server or SQL Server. Same goes for the advanced exams. In total you will probably spend 4 years to get certified for both SQL Server and Windows Server at the advanced (MCITP/MCSE) levels. By that time you are better of going for the 2012 (MCSE) certifications than the 2008 (MCITP) certifications.

If you want to do both versions, but don't want spend much time on the older version you can do the MCTS exams first to earn to 2008 MCSA certifications and after that upgrade to the 2012 MCSA certifications, skipping the 2008 MCITP exams, to finally go for the 2012 MCSE exams. By that time you will probably have more experience what the MCSE level exams require.

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:11 PM
  • The MCITP certifications are designed for people with a minimum of 2yrs experience in the technology covered by the certification i.e. you need at least 2yrs experience in Windows Server 2008 to pass Windows Server 2008 MCITP certifications.

As you are just starting out and the fact that many of the Windows Server 2008 certifications are due to retire on 31<sup>st</sup> July 2013, I would recommend that you look at the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification.  More information about this certification and links to study material can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windows-server-MCSA.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by tooleyrose Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:37 PM

All replies

• There are a lot of MCITP certifications so which one(s) are you interested in http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2?

Once you've made a decision, we will be able to assist you with a study method

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:11 AM
  • HI

Thanks for the link, really helpful. I'm not a novice when it comes to IT but I am looking for a career change so I'm basically starting from scratch, I want to earn as many certifications as I possibly can. Which route would be the best one to take to start off with? I would Like to start off by earning a MCITP in Microsoft Server 2008, and then possibly Enterprise Administrator 2008. But thats just my thoughts. 

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:57 PM
  • The MCITP certifications are designed for people with a minimum of 2yrs experience in the technology covered by the certification i.e. you need at least 2yrs experience in Windows Server 2008 to pass Windows Server 2008 MCITP certifications.

As you are just starting out and the fact that many of the Windows Server 2008 certifications are due to retire on 31<sup>st</sup> July 2013, I would recommend that you look at the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification.  More information about this certification and links to study material can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windows-server-MCSA.aspx

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by tooleyrose Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Is it possible to do A+ and N+ at the same time?
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:36 AM
  • I think there is still confusion about the MCITP certification retiring. Could he not still go for the 2008 certification which after July 31st would then becomg MCSE 2008 Server?

It's weird to me that MCITP 2008 Server recommends two years of experience but it was recommended that he try for 2012 when he would not have 2 years of experience with that system.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:23 PM
  • For a novice a training kit is the best place to start. You can supplement it with Technet and MSDN articles and other resources on the Internet. The MCTS training kits cover the basics. If you know your stuff you are probably better of focusing on the topics you won't have experience with. You can use the study guides as a checklist for that.

You should start with the exams for the products you are most experienced with. Not only will make this passing the first exams easier, it also allows you to adjust the exam taking experience less troublesome. Preparing for an exam is an good way to learn about a new product or version. Actual experience, however, is even better.

You said you want to pass as many exams possible. Is this because you want to increase your changes get a job by widening your expertise? In that case you should stick to the MCTS/MCSA first and later, when have more experience and know more in where you want to specialize in, you can focus on the MCITP/MCSE exams. Also to pass the MCITP Enterprise Administrator exam you will have pass 4 MCTS exams first. So you will have to focus on MCTS exams first anyway. In that case it is smarter to do MCTS exams for the SQL Server too, before you go for the MCITP exams.

For instance you have shown interest in Windows Server and SQL Server Administration. You should first decide if want to target on Windows Server or SQL Server. Then decide which version to focus on. 2008 is for both products the most used version, but most exams will retire in about a year. So you will have to estimate if that's enough time for you. 2012 is the newest version for both products which will last longer, but hasn't got much demand at the moment.

Don't be surprised to spend a year on the entry exams on either Windows Server or SQL Server. Same goes for the advanced exams. In total you will probably spend 4 years to get certified for both SQL Server and Windows Server at the advanced (MCITP/MCSE) levels. By that time you are better of going for the 2012 (MCSE) certifications than the 2008 (MCITP) certifications.

If you want to do both versions, but don't want spend much time on the older version you can do the MCTS exams first to earn to 2008 MCSA certifications and after that upgrade to the 2012 MCSA certifications, skipping the 2008 MCITP exams, to finally go for the 2012 MCSE exams. By that time you will probably have more experience what the MCSE level exams require.

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Arjen,

Just wanted to commend you on an excellent synopsis of Microsoft certification for the beginner. It's clear, concise, and to the point. Microsoft could learn from you.

James

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Hi James,

Thank you very much for your very nice and flattering compliment.

Arjen

Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:03 PM