Workflow - Send email to marketing list members RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to send an email to all the members of a marketing list from within a workflow.

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Brian

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• The ideal process for this is to use a Quick Campaign, which will easily send emails to the Marketing list.

Dave Berry
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, June 28, 2010 9:13 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:58 PM
  • While you could create a campaign (or even a new email message, for that matter), it seems impossible to associate it with either the list in whole, or any member thereof--out of the box, that is.  I'm personally unfamiliar with any solutions that are Workflow-driven to achieve your desired goal.  If you must use a Workflow, then you'll probably need to write custom code to manage the ins and outs of the Campaign process... that is, if you still want to use the Campaign.  That task appears to be an arduous one.

Workflows don't work well with child-records.  There is no "for" looping through sub-records, so you have to write code to perform that yourself.  Which is your other option: to write a custom Workflow activity to send the email directly to the members, without using a Campaign or its automated distribution mechanisms.

Dave Berry
    • Marked as answer by bkrenzin Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:48 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 11:51 PM

All replies

• The ideal process for this is to use a Quick Campaign, which will easily send emails to the Marketing list.

Dave Berry
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, June 28, 2010 9:13 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Dave:

Thank You very much for your time and your prompt reply.

However, I do not understand how to define and start the Quick Campaign from within a workflow.

This is a simple customer event notification and there really is no need for human interaction during this part of the workflow.  I would like to send the notification to a predefined marketing list without the need for an employee to manually start the Quick Campaign.

Regards,

Brian

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:06 PM
  • While you could create a campaign (or even a new email message, for that matter), it seems impossible to associate it with either the list in whole, or any member thereof--out of the box, that is.  I'm personally unfamiliar with any solutions that are Workflow-driven to achieve your desired goal.  If you must use a Workflow, then you'll probably need to write custom code to manage the ins and outs of the Campaign process... that is, if you still want to use the Campaign.  That task appears to be an arduous one.

Workflows don't work well with child-records.  There is no "for" looping through sub-records, so you have to write code to perform that yourself.  Which is your other option: to write a custom Workflow activity to send the email directly to the members, without using a Campaign or its automated distribution mechanisms.

Dave Berry
    • Marked as answer by bkrenzin Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:48 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Dave:

Thank You for your time....I really appreciate your input.

Regards,

Brian

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hi Bkrenzin

I looking at same problem!

For now I solved first issue. That we now able to auto update an advance find to a marketing list - using a workflow!

But it seems there is no solution for then creating a workflow that will send to a  ! Just like you described..

We have a team looking into this and if they find a solution (by tomorrow I will post it)

Plz let me know if you find a solution :o)

/Bæks

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:54 PM
  • If the list os 250 or less, you could create an on demand workflow and run it from an Advanced Find of list members.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:07 PM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:07 PM