none
SyncToy 2, Windows 7, Win Server 2008 - error cannot write to destination file RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a new PC on Windows 7 beta to sync files to mapped shared drives on a Windows Server. Whenever I try to run a sync with SyncToy I get a very few files that say they have succeeded (only on the first attempt) and dozens of failures, all saying 'Error: Cannot write to the destination file. The system cannot find the file specified (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)'.

This happens on every attempt; I have rebooted the PC without any change to the errors. The folder pair is set to Contribute, with some folder and file types excluded (it's a new folder pair and has never worked but it is an exact copy of the folder pair that worked on my previous PC). None of the files are open in applicaitons, the mapped drive is visible and accessible and if I copy the files to the correct folder by hand, they copy correctly and without error.

I have been using SyncToy for longer than I can remember to sync files onto our Windows Server; it continued to work when we switched from SBS 2003 to Server 2008. It continued to work on Vista when I added the parent folder to Live Mesh. I am using a very similar but new PC (HP EliteBook 2730p instead of HP 2710p) running build 7000 of Windows 7.

What else might be different: no password on the user account on the source PC, some (but not all) of the target folders have the Always Available Offline flag set.

There is nothing in the Event Viewer on the server showing permission errors that I can find.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Have you checked to see if the files that cannot be sync'ed are read-only? We have been unable to repro this on our labs here but I have seen other people on this forum complain about this being a problem.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:53 PM
  • thanks - but no, they're not showing as read-only on the server.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Folder Redirection,  Offline files.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:59 PM