Passwords and Password Policy RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, I think password policy is broken in this software...

I have 2 users. I myself use a Strong password since I have to connect to the console and for Remote Access.

Now for my wife's account I dont want to use Strong as there is absolutely no reason to have it on our network.

So I went to Windows Home Server Settings and changed the Policy to allow for Weak passwords.

I gave her a simple (5 letter and 1number) password.

On her PC I installed the Connector and was able to do backups and go to her shared folders on the Server.

Today I was looking at her PC and there is a Home Server message.

"Windows Home Server Does Not Recognize your Password"

So I naturally went to update her password.

In the Update Password window is where things get interesting.

Whether I select:

Keep My Password on this computer or keep it on Home Server then I enter password that she logs in and enter the password that on home server it rejects my entries saying that the password on Home Server is Incorrect.

On my PC (next desk) I login to the Console and change her password on Home Server yet on her PC the connector still says that password is invalid.

????

Going to try a few more things shortly...

Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:52 PM

All replies

•  dimitriz wrote:
    Ok, I think password policy is broken in this software...

I have 2 users. I myself use a Strong password since I have to connect to the console and for Remote Access.

Now for my wife's account I dont want to use Strong as there is absolutely no reason to have it on our network.

So I went to Windows Home Server Settings and changed the Policy to allow for Weak passwords.

I gave her a simple (5 letter and 1number) password.

On her PC I installed the Connector and was able to do backups and go to her shared folders on the Server.

Today I was looking at her PC and there is a Home Server message.

"Windows Home Server Does Not Recognize your Password"

So I naturally went to update her password.

In the Update Password window is where things get interesting.

Whether I select:

Keep My Password on this computer or keep it on Home Server then I enter password that she logs in and enter the password that on home server it rejects my entries saying that the password on Home Server is Incorrect.

On my PC (next desk) I login to the Console and change her password on Home Server yet on her PC the connector still says that password is invalid.

????

Going to try a few more things shortly...

Did you try rebooting the client PC after changing the password on the server?

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  

Hi kariya21,

I just set her password in WHS through the console, set the same password on her PC.

Rebooted her PC and WHS icon has a popup that tells me that passwords do not match.

I am at a loss...
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:37 PM
  •  dimitriz wrote:
    Hi kariya21,

I just set her password in WHS through the console, set the same password on her PC.

Rebooted her PC and WHS icon has a popup that tells me that passwords do not match.

I am at a loss...

Check this thread and see if it helps...

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  

On the client machine please go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys and see that the folder and ALL FILES in it have Full permissions for the Administrators GROUP and SYSTEM account.

(based on post of nigelbb in thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1922353&SiteID=50)

or else try:

On the client computer giving you the headaches launch the following from your Start > Run menu:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Then find the name of your WHS, highlight it and "Remove it".

Logoff, then back in, and update your password one final time through the WHS client.

If all goes well, it should resolve it.

from post of dmxrob in thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2284855&SiteID=50

EDIT: You can also have a look at http://mswhs.com/2007/10/19/stop-false-password-nags-from-the-whs-client/

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Thanks for all your replies.

My wife's PC is using Veeesta Home Premium.

I tried rundll32 from cmd and nothing is there was WHS related. Only 2 entries for Live Messenger.

I also tried going back to Medium strength passwords and reset her PC and her account in WHS to a new password and now it just started with the same fun message that they dont match.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:47 PM