Deploying Communicator 2007 ADM GPO problem RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I have a problem with ADM communicator 2007 GPO deployment.

I have deployed Communicator 2007 and Live Meeting 2007 using msi packages under HKLM.
    Under user settings/Administrative templates I have imported ADM for Communicator 2007 where I have manually changed two things.

First, I have ENABLED - Specifiy transport and server:
    Here I have put the name of our internal server like this: COMPUTERNAME. COMPANY.LOCAL
    We don't have external server or any edge servers, soo I have left that field blank and I have chosen the type transport: TLS

Secondly, I have ENABLED - Launch Microsoft Office Communicator Tour setting. Her I have marked under: Wheter to launch the Microsoft Office Communicator Tour or not window - with DISABLED.

PROBLEM:
    After I did gpupdate /force on my virtual client pc and reboot.

-Both SW (Communicator&live meeting 2007) have been deployed sucessfully but user settings strangelly have not been deployed. How did I found that? Because when I have manually launched Communicator 2007 for the first time, the "magic" pop-up communicator tour showed up, and secondly under Communicator user settings/server settings there is everything gray, and the search for the Server is set up on automatic.

In this case the bloody Communicator gives me the very-well-known certificate error message, because when the user wants to sign in he thinks the FQDN is COMPUTERNAME.COMPANY.COM and NOT COMPUTERNAME. COMPANY.LOCAL.

Three Questions:

1. I would like to know why the gpo user settings weren't applied but don't know where and how to search. In the client pc event viewer-Application I haven't found anything useful.

2. The purpouse of gpo user settings is that client's will not need to put any manually settings (for example, server name). Is there a way that automatic search for server would actually work? Because if i put it manually in that window with COMPUTERNAME.COMPANY.LOCAL and choosing TLS it works.

3. And the last question. I would also like that after the deployment of communicator 2007, the program would automatically start when you do your first log in to the domain.

Very thanks to all the future answers. I will buy a beer or two for person who will help me to solve this problem.

Thanks

bostjan - halcom d.d.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

• Bostjan,

Take a look at the "DNS Requirements for Automatic Client Sign-In" section of the documentation for assistance in setting up internal SRV and A records in DNS to allow the Communicator clients to automatically locate and connect to the OCS Front-End server without having to push Manual configuration settings out to clients:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425235(office.13).aspx

Also, Communicator should (by default) automatically launch when a user logs into a workstation.  The client setting that controls that behavior is found in the Tools > Options > Personal menu, called "Automatically start Communicator when I log on to Windows".

As far as your GPO issues, if you have the settings configured but are not seeing them on the workstations it could be related to a number of issues; where the GPO is attached, what objects it is applied to, etc.  Using Group Policy can be tricky and I'd suggest you post that specific question in the Windows server Group Policy forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:06 PM

All replies

• Bostjan,

Take a look at the "DNS Requirements for Automatic Client Sign-In" section of the documentation for assistance in setting up internal SRV and A records in DNS to allow the Communicator clients to automatically locate and connect to the OCS Front-End server without having to push Manual configuration settings out to clients:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425235(office.13).aspx

Also, Communicator should (by default) automatically launch when a user logs into a workstation.  The client setting that controls that behavior is found in the Tools > Options > Personal menu, called "Automatically start Communicator when I log on to Windows".

As far as your GPO issues, if you have the settings configured but are not seeing them on the workstations it could be related to a number of issues; where the GPO is attached, what objects it is applied to, etc.  Using Group Policy can be tricky and I'd suggest you post that specific question in the Windows server Group Policy forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Jeff!

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your very professional answer.

Let me say, that I have found out why the user policy did not work with that adm files. I have put only the computer name to work with this gpo object, but i didnt know that i also need to put which users considers. I am little bit of rookie on this group policy. But still I have 2 more question.

The first question still reamains the same, and that is, that I want to make office communicator 2007 auto-run. I made some snapshots of my virtual machine and I am quite sure that after the deployment of the program you still must manually open/run the program for the first time. After the first run, the auto-run works when you reboot the machine, but I would like to avoid this first manually run after the deployment of the sw.

Question number 2: Do you have any experience with importing contact list to all users. The idea is that everyone in our company would get the same contact list and I mean the hole contact list with all the ocs users in our company, soo this means everyone in our company. I've googled something about it and got this web page: http://www.ocscm.com/ but I'm curios if there is any step-by-step how to do it with gpo.

Thank you very much.
    bostjan - halcom d.d.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Ah, yes.  The client will only auto-run after login, not immedatly after pushing the application to the desktop.  You'd have to follow up your installation process with some scripted command to launch the client.

There are a bunch of previous discussions regarding importing contacts into user's lists.  Take a look at these search results for posts discussion the LCSAddContacts.wsf script and the third-party OCSCM tool:
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Asocial.microsoft.com+ocscm+LCSAddContacts&form=QBRE&qs=n
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Hi Jeff & everyone else!

I have found out tht OCSM tools is very easy to use, soo I have solved the problem with contact list with tool.

About auto run Communicator 2007 after the deployment you've said, I quote: "You'd have to follow up your installation process with some scripted command to launch the client." Do you maybe know how to do this, or can I open a new thread on this forum?

Thank you. Where do you want me to send you thoose beers. Slovenian most known beer is LASKO if you have ever heard :)
    bostjan - halcom d.d.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:17 AM