windows live onecare consumes 100% of cpu after updating itself RRS feed

• Question

• PC was off for several days (vacation).  Turned it on yesterday.  OneCare downloaded and installed an update.  Since then, the cpu has been at 100% (70% in service.exe, 30% in winss.exe).   Any suggestions?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• My PC does the same, I restore my PC a week back and everything is OK, I connect to the internet and onecare update itself again, after first restart it kills my PC, I think the only solution is to uninstall onecare until Microsoft fix the problem.

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Have a look at this thread for the CPU problem after updating to 2.0 - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

If that doesn't help, please contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:56 AM
  • I should have noted in my post that I'm running XP.  The Peer Name Resolution Protocol and the Peer Networking Identity Manager co not appear in my services list - they are probably Vista routines.

I got support involved and they resolved the problem.  The issue seems to be that the new OneCare 2.0 expects the Network Location Awareness service to be running in order to set up the firewall, but NLA may not be running on an XP machine. 

The steps we took (roughly) are:

- set NLA service to automatic and make sure it starts

- stop the onecare firewall service; then start it again.

Voila - problem solved.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:25 AM
  • The peer services can be installed to XP, they are part of an update that was released in late 2006 for "advanced networking."

Network Location Awareness service is one of the required services for OneCare, so I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem.

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:09 AM