Just downloaded WHS 20008 Power Pack 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to build my own low power server near the end of the month. It will be based around a Intel Atom D510 Dual Core CPU and be housed in a small Mini-ITX case. 

I'm not put off by some of the threads here with problems, but I am sort of concerned. So I have some questions...

Are there some gotchas I should be concerned with? The OS itself will be on a 640GB Samsung F3 drive that's currently in my HTPC. I have devised a scheme to get the info off that drive, move it to a new Hitachi 2TB 5900rpm "Green" drive. Then install the newly formatted 640GB drive with WHS 2008 PP3 on it into my new server case. I will then transfer all the files that used to be on the 640GB back to it via network. Once that's done put the 2TB drive in the server, let WHS format it and add it to the storage pool.

Another concern is I have Recorded TV folders spread between all the drives in my HTPC (2 external, 2 internal). Is there as way I can put all these in Recorded TV Archive? All the data I have currently have (even my laptop) can be stored on the 2TB with 200-300GB to spare. Combined with the space leftover from the WHS install, it should be close to 800GB left before I attach my externals to it (from the HTPC).

After I move all my files to the server I may sell my externals (250GB and 500GB) and use that towards another Hitachi 2TB drive.

Is there anything else I should concern myself with? I'll be using 2GB of memory on the Intel Atom board as well.

Main reason for WHS is to archive my Recorded TV, Video and Audio files from my HTPC, enabling me to build a low powered HTPC later this summer.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi

All looks like a good plam. All I would add is that you should take into account the effect of folder duplication when calculating the disk space used. Asls, I would suggest you switch duplication off while you are transfering data to the pool (quicker) and then switch it on when the data transfer is completed. WHS will then spend some time doing its own thing making your data safe.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:26 PM