How do I add the new drive to the storage pool? RRS feed

• Question

• Built the new server with 2011

Single 2T drive for OS and storage space.

Transferred copied a good portion of the media files off the 2003 server, where I felt comfortable enough to turn off file sharing.  Pulled a 1T drive out of the old server to move to the new server.  Formatted the drive, but I can't figure out how to add it to the pool!  Once I get it added, will turning on folder duplication be obvious?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:00 AM

Answers

• Er, there is no folder duplication or "storage pool" facility in WHS 2011 as there is in WHS v1. There's just individual drives/partitions.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:54 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:03 AM

All replies

• Er, there is no folder duplication or "storage pool" facility in WHS 2011 as there is in WHS v1. There's just individual drives/partitions.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:54 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Ok, here's a stupid question, why would I want to upgrade to 2011 from v1 then?

Is there a good way transfer the existing v1 OS to a completely new build, or do I need to just start over with a fresh load too?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:14 PM
  • For the first question, I think you'll find better information from the many articles online that compare WHS versions and discuss the pros and cons.

For your second question, you cannot upgrade a WHS v1 box to WHS 2011.  If you intend to reuse the same hardware, you will have to back up your existing data and restore it once WHS 2011 is installed. If you are introducing WHS 2011 on a new server, then you can transfer your data over the network once you have provisioned the new machine.

• Edited by Gary Voth Friday, July 13, 2012 2:29 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 2:28 AM